AirPods Pro Gen 2 Incomplete Setup in Find my Devices

How do I fix this error?

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2022 9:58 AM

If you guys have a problem with “AirPods Incomplete Setup in Find my Devices” Follow this instructions:

1. Make sure your AirPods are connected to your iPhone and AirPods tied to your Apple ID.
  2. Go to AirPods settings, TURN OFF Find My Network.
  3. Go to settings and tap your name/Apple ID and chose FIND MY and then TURN OFF Find My iPhone & TURN OFF Share My Location.
  4. TURN OFF your iPhone and turn your iPhone back ON.
  5. Go back again to settings and tap your name/Apple ID and chose FIND MY and then TURN ON Find My iPhone and TURN ON Share My Location.
  6. Go back again to AirPods settings, TURN ON Find My Network.
  7. ALL SET, now you will see your AirPods in Find My Devices like a Normal.

Cheers

Romel Jr

79 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2022 9:58 AM in response to Name001

If you guys have a problem with “AirPods Incomplete Setup in Find my Devices” Follow this instructions:

1. Make sure your AirPods are connected to your iPhone and AirPods tied to your Apple ID.
  2. Go to AirPods settings, TURN OFF Find My Network.
  3. Go to settings and tap your name/Apple ID and chose FIND MY and then TURN OFF Find My iPhone & TURN OFF Share My Location.
  4. TURN OFF your iPhone and turn your iPhone back ON.
  5. Go back again to settings and tap your name/Apple ID and chose FIND MY and then TURN ON Find My iPhone and TURN ON Share My Location.
  6. Go back again to AirPods settings, TURN ON Find My Network.
  7. ALL SET, now you will see your AirPods in Find My Devices like a Normal.

Cheers

Romel Jr

Oct 25, 2023 9:38 PM in response to Name001

Steps that helped me fixed the issue:

1. Go to Settings > Bluetooth. Tap on AirPods Pro and tap on Forget the Device
  2. Open AirPods Pro and follow the instructions on the iPhone screen. Confirm everything.
  3. Go to Find My app and find AirPods. In my case, there were added with the error.
  4. Leave the case opened for a while longer (20-30 seconds) until the error disappears.

Sep 26, 2022 5:20 PM in response to Name001

Hi there Name001,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We're happy to help.

Make sure your Apple ID has Two Factor Authentication and iCloud Keychain enabled:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

Set up iCloud Keychain

If you're pairing with iPhone, make sure it is updated with iOS 16.0.2 or later: Update iOS on iPhone

If the issue persists, reset your AirPods Pro: How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro

If you are still having trouble, contact Apple Support for additional assistance: Contact Apple Support

Take care.

Sep 28, 2022 6:59 AM in response to Name001

I get the same too. All sets up fine, then after a while the Airpods whilst in the case disappear from the "Find My" app. Go into Bluetooth settings, click on the AirPods Pro 2, select "See in Find My", still nothing, unless I get hold of the case with AirPods and open it by my phone. It then shows in the "Find My" app, but when selecting it can't give a location because setup is incomplete.

I've reset them twice now and got all the suggested settings set. If this carries on I will most probably return them and get a refund.

Feb 11, 2023 12:33 AM in response to Name001

Thanks Romel for the detailed instructions! However, there is a chance that the problem still persists just like me. I went to Genius Bar today and got a replacement even though the AirPods passed all the tests. But when the AirPods was fully charged and I tried to connect, everything was the same, NOTHING CHANGED.

And finally, I just found a solution that might be helpful.

So,

1. connect to another iOS device with the same Apple ID
  2. check it on the Find My app, and see if the precise location on your iPhone is working or not
  3. disconnect the AirPods from iPad and connect to your iPhone.

That’s all!

I also did a factory reset before every time I paired to a different device. Pretty simple but works for me. Try this if the solution above is not working.

Ronald

Sep 29, 2022 6:51 PM in response to KarthikRaja5066

Facing the same issue but in AirPods Pro Gen 1. Tried contacting the support team, they escalated to their senior advisor and then the almost long hour call was simply dead. Dead, not disconnected.

First they couldn’t come up with a solution for 13 pro’s notifications sound issue, and now this AirPods issue. I’ll have to think about moving back to android again.

Sep 28, 2022 7:18 AM in response to Dabber72

exa the issue I am having. I spent over an hour with Apple Support trying to correct the problem with no success. In the end, turning off Find My Phone momentarily corrected the problem temporarily. The issue returned shorty after I gave a good review on the experience. I too am ready to return the unit. Feels like Apple didn’t quality check before rushing to market.

Oct 5, 2022 11:49 AM in response to Grant Avery

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately nothing has worked. I had multiple conversations with Apple support. Apple Support has downloaded screen sharing and diagnostics profiles to my phone. They tried what you mentioned and all the things I already tried. I spent no less than 1.5 hours with them in sharing sessions and on the phone. Nothing worked! I have two Gen 1 AirPod Pros that I use. I keep one set in my office so it is always there when I need it for work. The other set I try to keep in my pocket but they aren’t always there when I look for them. Both my Gen 1 AirPods work as expected. I even lost one in the snow. The find my devices feature lead me right to it and the sound let me find it in the snow. That experience sold me in the awesomeness of the Find Devices. The Gen 2 have never worked correctly in Find my Devices. Believing the Gen 2 hardware was my problem, I bought a 2nd pair of Gen 2 AirPods. They work as expected out of the box unlike the pre-order Gen 2 pair. I returned the 1st pair of Gen 2 that never worked. Just waiting on Apple to refund my money $$.

Nov 8, 2022 2:07 AM in response to LUKEQU92

Hi! Yeah I did that too and the incomplete setup message went away. I keep my AirPods in the little watch pocket in my jeans and so they are pretty much always close to my iPhone. However right now in Find My it says they were last seen two days ago 13 km away (when I used them last). I am wondering, do they only tell their location if one or both earpieces are outside the case? So if you loose or misplace the case with the earpieces inside, the tracking is useless?

Nov 13, 2022 11:13 AM in response to oler

yes the tracking is useless if you turn it off find my on airport, the same thing happened to me and I learned how to live with this bug ...... PS I tried everything and the support team doesn't say its a bug they will always say restart your phone and reset your Airpod ...... nothing happened I have iPhone 14 ..... so

AirPods Pro Gen 2 Incomplete Setup in Find my Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.