Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling Download of Previous Mail from IMAP

Apologies if this has been asked before, couldn't quite find the right terms to search on.

When I use Gmail on the iPhone via IMAP, it just downloads the most recent 100 messages (or whatever setting you have). Is it possible to do this with Apple Mail, as I have way too many messages to be downloading. I could just download the headers but would prefer not to download anything but the most recent 100 then carry on from there.

Cheers

iMac 2.9GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 1:12 AM

6 replies

Sep 1, 2010 1:02 PM in response to John Bull

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Everytime I opened mail with all the messages, send and receive took an age, opening and closing emails (even though they had been downloaded took an age) and everything just didn't seem to just work.

I ended up 'Archiving' all the emails in my inbox on gmail, which sorted the problem in a roundabout manner.

Interesting to work out what the iphone does with IMAP then, must be a custom solution.

Disabling Download of Previous Mail from IMAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.