Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 running iOS 16.0.2 does not show up in iTunes 12.8.2.3 on MacBook Air running Sierra 10.12.6

Is there a fix for this other than upgrading my MacOS software? I've tried two USB cables, I've restarted the Mac and the iPhone, and I've reset the privacy settings on my iPhone to allow a redo of the "Trust This Computer" handshake between the devices, and nothing has worked. Is this just an incompatibility?

Any advice would be welcomed.

iPhone 14

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 8:32 AM

For iOS 14 or later you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 8:32 AM in response to James WarrenIII

For iOS 14 or later you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Oct 7, 2022 7:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Neither of these attempted solutions fixed this issue. Running MobileDeviceUpdater did absolutely nothing, as in no program appeared to even launch, no dialog boxes, no notifications, nada. Reinstalling iTunes 12.8.2.3 also had no effect, even after I reset the privacy settings on my iPhone 14 (again). iTunes continues to behave as though no iPhone is plugged in, even though running System Information clearly shows the iPhone on the USB 3.0 bus.

Anyone have any other ideas?

iPhone 14 running iOS 16.0.2 does not show up in iTunes 12.8.2.3 on MacBook Air running Sierra 10.12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.