Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Siri does not respond to commands on iPhone

“hey Siri” triggers Siri, but the. She cannot complete any commands

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 5:28 PM

Changing to English (United Kingdom) in settings worked instantly and fixed it. The Siri feature was not been working at all for several weeks prior and would give the "Something went wrong" error every time. This is for a new-gen SE.

Went to Settings -> Siri & Search -> Language -> English (United Kingdom)

39 replies

May 11, 2023 10:47 PM in response to Merlygirl

This is absolutely ridiculous. I literally almost got in a car wreck trying to respond to something important while driving. In the age of LLM ai this is stone age-- and for all the safety features apple tries to bake into carplay, this is a worse

danger. And absolutely only this wild guess fixed it? Sounds like proof apple is falling behind with voice assistance.

May 27, 2023 11:33 AM in response to Merlygirl

Ok so this has a been a problem for the last few months for me. I try to access Siri and she will say things like “ uh huh “ or “ still trying “. I would see this circle spinning the entire time and then it would say “ error please try again “. Sometimes it would open and then immediately close on its own. I tried resetting Siri and that did nothing. So today I was reading where people said to change the language to English UK. I reset Siri yet again and this time I changed the language. To my surprise it’s actually working

Apr 23, 2024 2:41 AM in response to Merlygirl

For those that keep repeating the same stuff over and over, let me be clear:

1) Resetting network settings - no difference.

2) Rebooting iPhone - no difference

3) Clearing language cache, changing Siri speaking options - no difference

4) I refuse to change language to UK English - why should I? Why have language options if you can't use them - very logical!

It's a bug and Apple need to fix it. Nothing has been done about this for years and we are expected to put up with it.

Mar 24, 2024 4:36 AM in response to Merlygirl

I ve now try reset settings, reset network, language changes, phone reboot. When using a headset Siri responds, no reaction with the built in mic. My mic works fine. Tested it with Shazam playing low volume music at the other end of the room. I think this started after the last update of iOS. I am not a little annoyed with the lack of interest from apple! Sort it out!!!! Pretty please with sugar on the top. This might be the last apple product I ll ever buy!

Apr 15, 2024 4:41 AM in response to Merlygirl

I have had Siri "Something Went Wrong" issues for the last 2 years. Changing to British language from American and even changing sub-voices does sod-all.

My issue is with Homekit devices and I'm using iPod Mini as the Hub.

4 Meross smart plugs:

1 called TV

1 called Chair

1 called PC

1 called Telly (to distinguish between the first one called TV above)

If I use a simple command like "Siri, Chair off" it works and the same for "Siri chair on".

The issue are when you say something extremely complicated and hard to understand 🙄 like:

"Siri, turn the telly off in 20 minutes" !

Using any such time-based requests does not work.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 8, 2024 9:27 PM in response to Marc007@

iPhone dummy here, I’ve mistakenly hit a wrong key and Siri has stopped working. I was getting the spinning circle and touched another wrong something and now she will not follow any commands and the circle is spinning so slowly! I changed the language to US and no help, I now have a blue audio symbol in the upper left corner. Any ideas, please? What will happened with the current problems if I set a factory reset? What will I lose, etc?

Siri does not respond to commands on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.