Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods setup incomplete

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 11:57 AM

Hi gurdev1,

Thanks for posting here in Apple Support Communities. Have you had the chance to follow all troubleshooting steps found in the article you reached us from including updating the iOS? See: If you get an alert in the Find My app that your AirPods setup is incomplete

Does resetting the AirPods help using the steps here? See: How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support

1. Put your AirPods in their charging case, and close the lid.
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Open the lid of your charging case.
4. With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Bluetooth, or Settings > [your AirPods], and tap the More Info button  next to your AirPods. If you don't see your AirPods in Settings > Bluetooth or in Settings > [your AirPods], just go to the next step.
5. Tap Forget This Device, and tap again to confirm.
6. With the lid open, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds, until the status light on the front of the case flashes amber, then white.*
7. Reconnect your AirPods: With your AirPods in their charging case and the lid open, place your AirPods close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Follow the steps on your device's screen.

Keep us posted.

Thanks.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2022 11:57 AM in response to gurdev1

Hi gurdev1,

Thanks for posting here in Apple Support Communities. Have you had the chance to follow all troubleshooting steps found in the article you reached us from including updating the iOS? See: If you get an alert in the Find My app that your AirPods setup is incomplete

Does resetting the AirPods help using the steps here? See: How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support

1. Put your AirPods in their charging case, and close the lid.
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Open the lid of your charging case.
4. With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Bluetooth, or Settings > [your AirPods], and tap the More Info button  next to your AirPods. If you don't see your AirPods in Settings > Bluetooth or in Settings > [your AirPods], just go to the next step.
5. Tap Forget This Device, and tap again to confirm.
6. With the lid open, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds, until the status light on the front of the case flashes amber, then white.*
7. Reconnect your AirPods: With your AirPods in their charging case and the lid open, place your AirPods close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Follow the steps on your device's screen.

Keep us posted.

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2022 12:43 PM in response to alexbird

> So when you’re at home, the issue returns?

Interestingly, I don't think I've thought to check while on the go, the only times I've checked (to see it still reporting "AirPods Setup Incomplete") was when I was at home. Will check when I'm next away, as well.

> Has it every worked correctly?

Yes, I played a sound for it once in the Find My app. Interestingly, I also noticed it no longer makes the charging sound as well, maybe these two things are related? The charging sound should be happening (the switch in the AirPod settings is reporting "on"), but that switch is not enabled / I can't toggle it back and forth. I don't know if these two things are related or not, but I think I noticed both issues around the same time, so it's possible.

AirPods setup incomplete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.