iPad OS 16.2 External Display and Video Calls

Many problems using external display and video calls. So far I’ve tried Discord, Zoom. I’ve seen another developer thread for Microsoft Teams as well.

Discord - using external display, if I move Discord to the display, it rotates the video sideways.

Zoom - same thing. And then when I click on Zoom to play with settings or utilize the app - it moves it to the iPad. Here’s the really weird part… while it’s on my iPad, if I click on the multitasking dots - one of the options is “move to iPad.” It’s ON my iPad! Click on it - it moves it BACK TO THE DISPLAY. What?!?

I have not tried others such as Teams or Facebook Messenger….

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 3:23 PM

20 replies

Nov 5, 2023 1:22 AM in response to JeffPom

looks like i’m very late to the party but what i notice on my ipad pro 11” is this:

1. if i launch the meeting app (in my case google meet) from the app icon located on the external monitor then the camera view is rotated into portrait mode (despite my ipad being in landscape (connected to a magic keyboard).
  2. if i launch the same meeting app from the app icon located on the ipad screen then all is well!

hope this helps.

Dec 15, 2022 2:34 PM in response to JeffPom

Hello JeffPom,

We would try to isolate the issue by testing FaceTime to see if the same thing happens.

We would also try connecting to a different external monitor and see if the issue continues there. This can help tell us where to concentrate our troubleshooting.

If FaceTime works, then we would suggest you reach out to the developers of the apps that are rotating, or the monitor developer for further assistance.

We would also reach out to the monitor developer if another external monitor works as expected.

The results of these test should help point you towards a resolution.

Have a good day.

Dec 17, 2022 12:40 PM in response to JeffPom

I just installed on my M1 iPad Pro -- little choice since our corp VPN requires latest vers., but I'm baffled as to where the external display "zoom" control has gone. Yesterday, before taking the 16.2 update it was very limited in functionality (mirror and position) but would at least allow me to scale the display/resolution -- today, it's definitely using appropriately scaled pixels in a native way -- no blurring and proper, Ultrawide aspect ratios for graphics and txt, but I seem to be stuck with 1:1 proportions from the iPad retina display.

I'm using via USB C on an ultrawide HP z38 monitor, so sure, I could see issues with that cropping up, but even after searching in DSisplay, Accessibility, I can't seem to find any ability to adjust the screen for smaller default app text/iconography, let alone discreet resolution controls.

Any clues?

Jan 5, 2023 8:56 AM in response to JeffPom

Same as JeffPom, using

iPAD Pro M2,

Stagemanager (Apple’s USB-C multiport adapter)

HDMI to

DELL monitor S3422DW.

If I start video on iPAD, then connect the adapter and don’t move it to the monitor, or for any reason switch app, the video orientation using e.g. MS Teams works as intended on the iPAD.

If I toggle app on the iPAD, minimize Teams, or move the window to the DELL monitor, something rotates the video to match an untethered iPAD, I.e., 90 degree off due to my magic keyboard.

Once “tilted 90 degrees” there is no way to flip the video orientation, other then restarting the hosting app, Teams for example, without the Adapter connected.

My strong suspicion is that once stagemanager is sensing USB-C connected monitor (any) it request a number of parameter including orientation and the iPAD iOS doesn’t give the correct parameter, I.e., being on its side in the magic keyboard. Apple, please do not pass this one off to the dumb monitors.

Feb 11, 2023 2:08 AM in response to CPNRCHN

I have the same issue but, given that it is happening with both Teams and Zoom, isn’t it more likely to be an IOS 16 glitch? It is puzzling why it doesn’t happen with FaceTime. My first experience with using a new IPad Pro (M2, OS16.3) and Dell UD USB-C Hub Monitor hasn’t been great. Firstly, I discovered that I couldn’t use the IPad speaker while using the monitor and now I have this screen issue. Life with an old Windows laptop is beginning feel simpler.

May 10, 2023 5:37 AM in response to JeffPom

It seems like there are some issues with using external displays and video calls on iPad OS 16.2. The OP has tried using Discord and Zoom, but when they move the app to the external display, the video rotates sideways. Additionally, when they try to access settings or use the app, it moves back to the iPad screen. This behavior is strange and confusing. The OP has not tried other apps such as Microsoft Teams or Facebook Messenger, but it's possible that they may encounter similar issues. Hopefully, Apple can address these problems in a future update.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Jun 5, 2023 3:20 PM in response to srbwanderer

This issue continues. Now on 16.5. Multiple Videoconferencing apps. This is not a developer issue when it happens on multiple apps.

Also, in settings on my iPad - when I choose external display or mirror - the icon (when choosing layout) makes it look like my iPad is in portrait, even though I’m landscape. And visa-versa.

Jun 16, 2023 7:55 AM in response to JeffPom

Can confirm this happens on iPad Pro M1, newest 16.5 iOS, Studio Display, iPad in landscape orientation (rotation locked or not) in nearly every video conferencing apps as well as within Safari itself. This is the case for both front AND rear cameras (including wide-angle sensors). Apple currently doesn’t support external webcam from Studio Display. This is a huge miss as it is not documented anywhere, very misleading. Cannot confirm whether other external cameras would work the same.

Jun 16, 2023 8:12 AM in response to tberto

I believe the issue is, when an external monitor is not set for “mirror” app’s cannot ascertain what orientation the external display is in and default to portrait. You can replicate the issue as follows:

Open the app on the iPad itself. Turn the iPad to portrait. Camera displays properly in portrait.

Rotate the iPad to landscape. The camera flips to landscape and look properly. If external display is attached and not in mirror mode, camera flips back to portrait after a few seconds

Move the app to external monitor, camera goes back to portrait. (Because it doesn’t know what orientation that display is in)

Turn ON mirroring for external display, repeat steps 1 and 2…everything works as it should.

iOS should report all external displays as landscape, telling apps the proper orientation. It would be physically impossible to have the iPad in portrait as it is plugged in to the external display anyhow.

This is extremely embarrassing when using a Studio Display as it has its own camera. Apple currently doesn’t support external webcam from Studio Display. This is a huge miss as it is not documented anywhere, very misleading. Cannot confirm whether other external cameras would work the same.

Aug 3, 2023 9:14 AM in response to JeffPom

Hello to the discussion. Came here looking for an answer to this problem but then discovered that... My situation is mirroring to a TV in a room on Teams from an iPad (older but on the latest iOS). Obviously got the rotated screen issue. What I discovered is that if I was mirroring first and then joined the teams meeting my screen is rotated both on the ipad and the TV. But if I joined the teams meeting first, got my camera going in the landscape mode like it should be and then started mirroring, the ipad and TV stayed in landscape mode as it should. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Dec 2, 2023 4:20 AM in response to urooj178

It’s now one year since this issue was first raised. I had hoped that IOS 17 might address it but no progress. It’s difficult to ascertain where the responsibility rests. Given that it happens with a whole range of meeting apps (MS Teams, Zoom, Google etc), in fact everything except FaceTime, it would seem to be something Apple should address. But apparently not? Either way, it undermines any claims for IPad Pro as a replacement laptop

iPad OS 16.2 External Display and Video Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.