Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple Podcasts Skip and Jump around

For some reason, Apple Podcasts just jump and skip around at random. The scrub bar remains the same, but at random the audio will jump to a random spot on the podcast and play for a little while and then skip again to a different part. So, at times I’ll be listening to an hour long podcast for an hour but will only hear about 40 minutes of original audio because it jumps around and I hear the same thing for minutes at a time. Help! I am not downloading any episodes. I stream them all.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 11:10 PM

Samesies. Just happened to me about 3 minutes ago for the 1000x. i was listening to a podcast on the podcast app and all of sudden I’m skipped back 30 minutes. The length of the skip varies and seems to have no pattern I can discern.

I’ve been dealing with this annoyance for probably a close to a year now, and it followed me when I made the switch from the iPhone 13 to The 14.

I hate the app, but won’t leave the platform since I’ve given it 6+ years of my tIme, and my listening history is invaluable to me. I’m of the belief that if I’m paying $1,000 for a product I would like it to function properly. That’s just me though…

Plain and simple this is stupid. I find it hard to believe there’s not a solution to this problem. I just haven’t figured out why Apple is slacking so hard on this one.

The struggle is real.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2023 11:10 PM in response to lukeyuu

Samesies. Just happened to me about 3 minutes ago for the 1000x. i was listening to a podcast on the podcast app and all of sudden I’m skipped back 30 minutes. The length of the skip varies and seems to have no pattern I can discern.

I’ve been dealing with this annoyance for probably a close to a year now, and it followed me when I made the switch from the iPhone 13 to The 14.

I hate the app, but won’t leave the platform since I’ve given it 6+ years of my tIme, and my listening history is invaluable to me. I’m of the belief that if I’m paying $1,000 for a product I would like it to function properly. That’s just me though…

Plain and simple this is stupid. I find it hard to believe there’s not a solution to this problem. I just haven’t figured out why Apple is slacking so hard on this one.

The struggle is real.

Dec 12, 2023 11:15 AM in response to lukeyuu

Hey, Apple...THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! My 20 year old iPod works better than my new iPhone. Not only do podcasts randomly move backward and then forward, they now also skip entire chunks of content. While I appreciate the work arounds provided in the comments below, they are either untenable (what's the point of having a hands free device so that you may drive safely if you need to look at the device?), or just a flat out a P I A. I plan to use my husband's android phone for a bit to see if his works better. If so - bye bye Apple. You're no longer the only game in town.

PS. It happened to me several times just before typing this and again just now.

Jan 9, 2023 10:08 AM in response to lukeyuu

Bump.

VERY annoying. If I ever notice that it happens (mostly after pausing or backtracking), I pause the podcast, close down the app completely (swipe up), it then re-buffers, & then returns to normal. I could understand if it was streaming live with video, but this I uploaded audio to their servers that is streamed to our devices.

It feels like I'm using a janky version of RealPlayer (LOL showing my age) with no way to create a custom playlist.

Aug 8, 2023 8:11 AM in response to lukeyuu

Here’s a workaround that I use that’s faster than quitting and restarting (this assumes you have some podcasts queued up to play next):

1) For the current podcast (the one that is skipping), tap on the “…” and select “Play Next”.

2) Scroll down and swap the order of the top two in the queue.

3) Tap on the one that’s now top of the queue to start it playing.

4) Once it starts playing, scroll back up and again tap on the “…” and select “Play Next”.

5) Again, scroll down and swap the order of the top two in the queue. The podcast you were originally listening to should now be at the top.

6) Tap on it to start it playing. The skipping should be gone and the “next” queue should be back the way it was.

Observations:

For me, it primarily seems to happen if I’ve used the back up or fast forward buttons while listening. This seems to “confuse“ the podcast player.

This seems to primarily happen in podcasts with ad breaks.

Apr 4, 2024 7:57 AM in response to lukeyuu

I was experiencing this same issue with my iPhone 14, and I even switched from cheap Bluetooth earpods to official Apple Airpods Pro to no avail.

I finally realized that because the Now Playing app on my Apple Watch was set to auto start, when working it was quite easy for me to touch or bump my watch and trigger the various skipping options. I turned this off under Settings->General->Auto-Launch and have not had it occur again.

I know this is an old post, but maybe this helps someone else.

Apple Podcasts Skip and Jump around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.