Paint coming off iPhone

Hi anyone else have problems with the paint coming off the bezels of their iPhone 14 pro

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 1:36 AM

New IPhone 14 pro - $1600 and - put into case and screen protector as soon as purchased ! 5 months later the edges look like crap - paints chipped away around the edges ! Definitely low quality from Apple as I’ve not dropped the phone once ! And I’m all my years of phones, they normally look brand new after years as I mother my phones. Apple will deny its an issue and blame user.. very disappointing- has anyone tried paint touch up ? And ideas or links to paints etc ? My Apple Watch has a tiny paint damaged area - I use a permanent marker - looks great but rubs off in a few weeks ..,

121 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 1:36 AM in response to Danapo32

New IPhone 14 pro - $1600 and - put into case and screen protector as soon as purchased ! 5 months later the edges look like crap - paints chipped away around the edges ! Definitely low quality from Apple as I’ve not dropped the phone once ! And I’m all my years of phones, they normally look brand new after years as I mother my phones. Apple will deny its an issue and blame user.. very disappointing- has anyone tried paint touch up ? And ideas or links to paints etc ? My Apple Watch has a tiny paint damaged area - I use a permanent marker - looks great but rubs off in a few weeks ..,

Aug 18, 2023 12:46 AM in response to nickobee53

the warranty even says that cosmetic damage is not covered EXCEPT if it‘s caused by a defect from the manufacturer. And bad coating would be the manufacturers fault in my opinion. But apple will still not cover rhis because the don‘t give a f. They will only cover it if there‘s a recall. So essentially we‘re out of luck. You would have to prove that the coating is inadequate but how could you do that?

Mar 9, 2023 2:21 AM in response to Danapo32

I've bought my Space Black 14 Pro MAX in November 2022 and immediately put it in a case. After a month I noticed a very small chip near a top speaker. Now it has a few of them along the edge, which is annoying since I'm extremely careful with my phone. It's never in a same pocket with something else and I'm taking it out of the case every few days and cleaning it with microfiber cloth. I have a 4.5 years old XS MAX without even a spot, this one is scuffed after 5 months of babying. This is a reprise of Jet Black.

Jun 18, 2023 6:47 AM in response to Danapo32

Curious about this clause…wouldn’t the issue be workmanship? Seems too coincidental

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;

Aug 27, 2023 12:44 AM in response to Danapo32

Yesterday I was at one of the AppleStores (Germany) with that issue. They saw it and did some inspections and stuff. After half an hour they decided to send it to the back support to change the entire back (with bezel and stuff). I should get it back within the next week. There is a 75% chance they will do it for free, since the support staff guy at the Genius Bar applied the 2 year customer law warranty of electronic parts in Germany.

See the attached costs estimate (in german).

If they repair it for free, I can give you the case number so you can head up to the Apple Store and show them this case, so they hopefully recognize that this is an production issue, not a cosmetic one.

Feb 7, 2023 4:52 AM in response to johnny893

Mine has been in a case since purchase. I went to the Genius Bar (as advised by online chat) but was told it was my fault-user damage.

I asked how I was meant to stop that happening as it had been in a case since purchase. Apparently I have the wrong case ?!? (It’s one for this phone) i was told it would cost nearly £600 to repair-no thanks. really disappointed as I was basically blamed even though I pointed out it isn’t just me.

Aug 30, 2023 12:37 PM in response to Disane

Wow, I‘m so done with apple. They gave me a response to that issue. I should pay around 600€ (incl. tax) to fix that. Their own warranty and EU customer laws really didn’t bother them. Buying a 1500€ phone with obvious failures and issue regarding their paint and than this reply. Wow apple, just wow.

Paint coming off iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.