Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshot Opens "Preview" rather than saves to Desktop Issue

Suddenly on my Wife's 2013 MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur. CMD-SHIFT-5 allows me to create my screenshot like we've always done in the past, however tonight while she is doing some work, the moment she clicks "Capture," to capture some web page images she needs to save, Preview opens. What happened to the just dumping the image on my desktop functionality? Has Apple snuck some weirdness onto my Wife's computer? Why would this change...how do I get that functionality back? I don't feel like I should have to work some "terminal" or CLI magic to get that back and the only other solutions I have seen are people discussing "Touch Bar" settings. My Wife's computer doesn't do "Touch Bar..."

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 9:37 PM

Press cmd shift 5, click on Options and set "Save to" to Desktop instead of Preview.

Similar questions

3 replies

Screenshot Opens "Preview" rather than saves to Desktop Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.