Continuity camera odd behaviour

Initially when I bought my M2pro Mac mini continuity camera seemed to work fine, now it only works if either the phone is connected via cable or (very strangely) if I plug in another webcam even though my other webcam does not produce an image it seems to trigger something that allows me to choose the iPhone continuity camera in FaceTime, MS Teams etc.

Does anyone have a potential solution that would mean I don't need to keep a useless webcam plugged into my Mac just to enable continuity camera on my iPhone?

Mac mini (2023 with M2 Pro)

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 2:25 PM

6 replies

Feb 6, 2023 7:40 AM in response to bytorsnowdog

Hey bytorsnowdog,

We'd recommend reviewing this article as it provides steps and requirements for using iPhone as a webcam: Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

"If Continuity Camera isn't working as expected

1. Make sure that your iPhone and Mac meet the system requirements.
  2. Make sure that your iPhone is properly mounted.
  3. Install the latest macOS updatesiOS updates, and updates for your video app.
  4. If you haven't unlocked your iPhone since it last restarted, unlock it, then lock it again.
  5. Plug your iPhone into your Mac.
  6. Restart your iPhone or Mac.

"

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2023 8:24 AM in response to WinsC1

I did all those things, I even reset my Mac as a new computer and the iPhone works with continuity camera initially but after a few mins it doesn’t. The only way to make it work is via cable or having another webcam plugged in. I found another article today that states this is a bug and the only way to fix it is the 2 options I have mentioned above

Mar 16, 2023 4:23 AM in response to bytorsnowdog

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as described by you. The proposed steps above didn't help at all. I have an iPhone 13 Pro and a new Mac Mini M2 Pro. Both updated to the latest OS', on the same network, WiFi & Bluetooth on.

Continuity Camera works with the same iPhone and my Macbook Pro 14 M2 wirelessly with no issues. With the Mac Mini it's exactly how you've described it. Works only via cable and just a few moments after disconnecting the cable. Without it it says "No camera available"

Continuity camera odd behaviour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.