Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac for 2nd Monitor

I have a late 2012 27" iMac and have been told by Apple multiple times that I can connect it to my new 16" MacBook Pro. I want to use my 27" iMac to act as a second monitor so I can work on both screens with different programs at the same time or it can even just reproduce what's on the 16" MacBook if I can't use it as two screens working in conjuntion. What cable(s) can help me do this? If not cables, what can I do?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 11:55 AM

<< my NEW 16" MacBook Pro >>

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

--from the article cited above

This feature is deprecated, it is Not going to work for a recently purchased Mac -OR-

you can use screen sharing to show the main display of one Mac in a window on the other Mac (over your network):

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

hook up to your TV set or buy a cheap display.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 11:55 AM in response to cspippin

<< my NEW 16" MacBook Pro >>

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

--from the article cited above

This feature is deprecated, it is Not going to work for a recently purchased Mac -OR-

you can use screen sharing to show the main display of one Mac in a window on the other Mac (over your network):

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

hook up to your TV set or buy a cheap display.

iMac for 2nd Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.