Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external SSD for Thunderbolt 2

I have a late 2014 MacMini with 16 GB RAM that works reasonably well, but takes a LONG time to start up. It appears that the OEM HDD is the problem based on discussions I have read. So, I am looking for a reasonably priced 2 TB external SSD that I can connect via the Thunderbolt 2 port on the Mac Mini.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 5:14 AM

FWIW, even if you do get a current USB-C SSD and use an adapter so you can plug into the USB-A ports, it would still seem like light speed compared to the glacial 5400 RPM spinner inside the 2014 Mini since he Mini has USB 3 ports.

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 8, 2023 10:19 AM in response to pomme-homme

Thunderbolt 2 external drives were not widely produced due to expense and rapidly changing technology to USB-C.

Most TB 2 external drives available were in a big box and contained two or four 3.5" HDDs.

for example > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-storage#interface-ports:thunderbolt-2

Your best options for a 2014 Mac mini are,

1. Get and startup from an external USB 3.0 SATA SSD.
  2. Replace the internal SATA HDD with a SATA SSD.
  3. Replace it with a newer M1 or M2 model.

external SSD for Thunderbolt 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.