Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPad show my external drive in Files?

Historically, I've been able to connect my external drive to my iPad and browse the stored files under the Files app. More recently whenever I connect it I can see that the drive is powered on but I can't access anything on my iPad. Why did it suddenly stop working?

I've never formatted it for a PC and as far as I know it still connects to macbooks.

iPad Air (4th generation)

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 9:55 AM

For iPadOS to access external media, it must be formatted as FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (FAT64) for universal readability across Apple, Microsoft or Linux systems - or additionally APFS+ if only used with Apple systems. NTFS and other formats are not supported. Drive formatting must be performed on other computing devices; drive formatting actions are not supported by iPadOS.

Additionally, for compatibility with iPadOS, the drive must only have only single partition.

Some external drives use write-caching. If not properly dismounted prior to disconnection, the drive may be corrupted - and not be recognised by the iPad upon reconnection. Unlike Windows PC and Mac, iPadOS does not have a Safe Remove function; for drives that employ write-caching, the only method of ensuring a safe dismount is to shut-down the iPad before disconnecting the storage device from the iPad.

If the drive formatting has been corrupted, the drive formatting must either be “repaired” by a Mac or Windows PC - or completely reformatted.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2023 9:55 AM in response to la_photographer

For iPadOS to access external media, it must be formatted as FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (FAT64) for universal readability across Apple, Microsoft or Linux systems - or additionally APFS+ if only used with Apple systems. NTFS and other formats are not supported. Drive formatting must be performed on other computing devices; drive formatting actions are not supported by iPadOS.

Additionally, for compatibility with iPadOS, the drive must only have only single partition.

Some external drives use write-caching. If not properly dismounted prior to disconnection, the drive may be corrupted - and not be recognised by the iPad upon reconnection. Unlike Windows PC and Mac, iPadOS does not have a Safe Remove function; for drives that employ write-caching, the only method of ensuring a safe dismount is to shut-down the iPad before disconnecting the storage device from the iPad.

If the drive formatting has been corrupted, the drive formatting must either be “repaired” by a Mac or Windows PC - or completely reformatted.

Why won't my iPad show my external drive in Files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.