Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Disk Not Ejected Properly -- AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN AND AGAIN...

Because I have been getting the error message in the subject for quite some time, I eject (Command E) the Storeva external hard drive, I unplug it, I shut down the Mac.

When I start up I plug in the Storeva. Yet, I still get hundreds of repeating error messages, over and over almost one per minute or less: "Disk Not Ejected Properly | Eject 'Storeva' before disconnecting or turning it off."

It seems to happen after the MacBook goes to sleep.

Apple: please fix this.

MacBook Pro 13.3.1 (22E261)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 12:58 PM

I have the same issue. I'm curious why repeated "solutions" given like cable, connections, power, etc when most users with similar complaints NEVER made any change in the setup/settings? I never had this happen before Ventura and now I'm with Sonoma, and the issue still exists.

as OP mentioned in one of their replies, I agree it's a software issue, not hardware and Apple needs to seriously look into this problem.

Similar questions

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 12:58 PM in response to Jayne De Sesa

I have the same issue. I'm curious why repeated "solutions" given like cable, connections, power, etc when most users with similar complaints NEVER made any change in the setup/settings? I never had this happen before Ventura and now I'm with Sonoma, and the issue still exists.

as OP mentioned in one of their replies, I agree it's a software issue, not hardware and Apple needs to seriously look into this problem.

Dec 2, 2023 10:27 PM in response to Jayne De Sesa

Noticed that some of Community members on this thread indicated the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" pop-ups never existed with Monterey... not in my case. Continue reading for a possible solution....

Purchased a 5 TB Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C drive in September 2023 to use solely for Time Machine for my 16" MacBook Pro. Just spent hours on the line with Apple tonight before discovering this thread.

The drive worked fine the first two times I used it to backup my system. Time Machine created one backup file on day one and 12 backup files on day 2. Thereafter, the drive hasn't worked properly since. I have received repeated issues when running Time Machine for backup. On two occasions, Time Machine stopped and issued a message "Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to 'LaCie'. And then Time Machine indicated that a particular file couldn't be backed up. And Time Machine ceased to operate.

I removed the file from the system in Round 1 when the popup occurred, and then did the same for Round 2 when I received the same popup however with a different file name.

Rounds 3,4,5: No longer seeing the blame on a PDF file creating the issue. Next received "Disk Not Ejected Properly" pop-ups identical to those in this stream. And Time Machine would cease to run. The latest backup files were those from Days 1 and 2. Appeared that Time Machine would get to approximately 37% to 47% of its processes before it would cease and desist. The result? No backup file whatsoever. Also noticed that the Time Machine icon on the top bar of my display screen for Time Machine turned from a symbol in black font to a symbol in white font and then sometimes back again. (What's that about?)

Apple's Tech and I went into System Preferences and experimented by changing the screensaver timeout feature from 20 minutes to an hour. (Great Tech BTW.) FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE HAVING THESE ISSUES, I was able to backup 69% of my system (previously Time Machine only got to about 37% - 45%,) without the interruption of a "Disk Not Ejected Properly" and Time Machine failing to continue.

And then post Apple assist call, as the Time Machine backup percentage was continuing to climb to levels it hasn't seen since my run of failures, I went into preferences and decided to eliminate use of the screen saver altogether. (Opted for a solid color on desktop. ) Hey, when nothing else works, what's the saying? "Desperation becomes the mother of invention?" I'm desperate for a backup so that I can comfortably and securely without worry, update / upgrade my OS. I am still on Monterey.

Voila! Success! Time Machine reached 100% of its backup processes for the first time since these issues raised their ugly head. I was able to obtain a full Time Machine backup without experiencing another Time Machine mystery cease and desist and/or "Disk Not Ejected Properly" pop-up.

That tells me that some of the "hunches" around display timeout is most definitely linked to the issues reported in this Community stream. So folks, try eliminating use of your screen saver and see if that also eradicates all the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" pop-ups from your desktops.

Now for a note to Apple...

Apple, heads up. This is a critical issue. Apple protocol is to advise users to backup their systems prior to bringing in a MAC for a Genius appointment or for any software update or upgrade. If your users are incapable of completing a full Time Machine backup, imagine the problems that could become commonplace when users run into issues with updates and/or upgrades. Second, users will perform backups when converting over to your latest and greatest technology. Same concern. Imagine the user who telephones the Apple Care line with their new system (presuming he/she didn't use iCloud for the transition) and identifies the fact that files and folders are MIA and didn't come across in the conversion. Uggghhh! I certainly wouldn't want to be on that helpline call.

Apple sells LaCie drives. Apple sells MacBooks. Seems to me that this one is clearly in your wheelhouse. And I think our experimentation tonight provides a great head start for where to begin the debugging effort. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Photos follow of a sample of the Round 1 error message (Round 2 error message was similar,) followed by the "Disk Not Ejected Properly" pop-ups so many others have reported to you.

Nov 18, 2023 8:48 AM in response to Don Hutcheson

Nice write-up Don, but I wouldn't accept that we have to wait until it is quietly fixed! We all pay thousands of $/euros for our Apple hardware and they owe us more than silence when an obvious OS bug appears in their System Software updates. This bug is so annoying, and like probably all of you, I return to my MacBook Pro M2 after being away for a day to find hundreds of Notification dialogs with this same message.

I used some help to write an Applescript that tries to automate the closure of the hundreds of Notifications, as they take up 20% of my very expensive (but lovely ;-) MacBook Pro screen, and although the script isn't perfect, the script has reduced my time to eradicate the notifications from 5 mins down to 30sec.

We shouldn't have to put up with something that Apple testing has undoubtedly seen...because you don't get 30-40 Mac users saying they have the exact same issue (as in this thread), without there being an issue. No disrespect to Kenneth, but if 30-40 M2 Macbook Pro users have the exact same OS issue, I would lay big money that we don't share the exact same "USB drive cabling errors".

Apple, please fix this, as I'm getting tired of cleaning this screen bug graffiti!

Apr 17, 2023 2:31 AM in response to Kennethradecki2180

Thank you Kenneth, I appreciate your thorough response.

> If you are using an adapter, check to see if it is an official Apple adapter.

>> It is an official Apple adapter

> Try keeping your MacBook on when the device is connected.

>> I always keep the device connected -- it is a back-up disc.

> Your cord may not be fully plugged in. Try making sure your cord is fully connected to both the Mac and the hard drive.

>> I have checked that, I have also changed ports which solved the problem temporarily in the past.

> Try cleaning the ports on your MacBook and the hard drive.

>> I will try this and thank you for the "how to" advice.

> A final cause may be the hard drive itself. The hard drive may be incompatible, damaged, or otherwise refusing to connect.

>> It is a compatible HD, it is fully recognised, I have been using it successfully for years, it does connect, it does work, the problem is the endlessly repeating error message. Because many other people have complained of the error message problem with different external HDs, it seems to be a Mac issue, not an issue with the HD or its cables.

I am attaching a screen shot of the problem taken last November 2022.

May 25, 2023 4:55 PM in response to Jayne De Sesa

Similar issue (although mine is not ejecting Time Machine except after LONG wait time) on brand new Mac Mini. Worked until latest update on Ventura. Safe mode works fine, but not in regular startup mode so I believe it's a Mac OS issue too. Similar issues with other daily backup drives that I switch out with Time Machine. Apple needs to fix this and stop blaming cords, drives and third party software. I will be going to Apple Store for them to troubleshoot, but I am not confident (as Mac user since 1990) that they will be able to "fix" the problem with the Mac OS.

Dec 3, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Jayne De Sesa

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I posted my experience with the solution that allowed my Lacie 5 TB Rugged drive purchased last September to backup beyond the previous max levels of 37% or 45% before mysteriously shutting off and receiving the unwelcomed "Disk Not Ejected Properly" popup on my desktop.

I hope sending all of you this post doesn't jinx me. Since then, the Lacie drive has been working. Time Machine has made multiple additional backups. And no popups have creeped onto my desktop. As a result, this solution may work for you. Below you will see the screensaver options I selected in system preferences yesterday. Since then, all's well. You might want to try the same.

System: 16" Macbook Pro, Lacie 5 TB Rugged drive used for Time Machine backup only. Mac OS Monterey Version 12.7.1. Hope this is helpful. See images to follow. Wishing you success.

Nov 3, 2023 12:30 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

While is good data and expected/true, the problem is wide spread across many drive manufacturers. What has happened here is Apple set a precedent in pre-Venture OSes with sleep patterns and then it changed them. LaCIE, OWC, and other drives now exhibit this problem. A large part of the problem here is that Apple removed the ability to control sleep modes -- is Sonoma on a Mac Studio there are virtually no options to control this.

Rather this has to do with Apple changing sleep behaviors in the OS that do now work well with Thunderbolt connected NVME drives, which are not considered classic removable USB 'thumb drives' drives. Apple could address this with a fix by seeing what device is mounted and control sleep of that port accordingly. If PCI-EXPRESS, then do NOT sleep the power modes. If USB, then sleep aggressively.

I have had to resort to using an application called Amphetamine (was Caffeine) and set the 'Drive Alive' mode to prevent sleep. All the problems went away. It has nothing to do with 'frayed cables' or 'drives going bad'.

Dec 11, 2023 1:25 PM in response to trewq321

This has been happening to me after purchasing a new MacBook Pro a few months ago, replacing an old MacBook. Upgrade went more or less smoothly, except for couple relatively minor, expected glitches (MacOS on old MacBook was a few versions back).

I had been using a Synology NAS for backups on the old MacBook. Used the same setup for the new machine - the only exception being to switch to a different target directory on the NAS. This worked fine.

The ONLY issue I've had is to keep getting "Disk Not Ejected Properly" after every Time Machine backup - similar to what has been reported here (in particular, this started happening with Ventura (new OS version, but on a new laptop). The backup data on the NAS is OK, and tests show it's usable.

The main difference is I'm using a network connection (SMB). Obviously, my problem is not physical (like a flaky USB connection). Also, I typically do not see cascaded alerts after waking the laptop (e.g. next day) - I see only one alert, although there will have been multiple Time Machine runs since it went to sleep.

I agree this seems to be a MacOS problem, not hardware (nor network). I suspect it's some kind of timing issue in the logic which manages the post-backup disconnect.

Oct 12, 2023 2:32 PM in response to Jayne De Sesa

I've got a combo of 8 drives - HDD and SSD - attached to a USB3 Anker hub and connected to my 16" M1 MBP via USBA3/USBC cable. I had no problems while running Monterrey, ever. I recently switched to Ventura 13.5.2 and have been getting the "Disk not Ejected Properly" error ever since. It is rather unpredictable in that sometimes the error applies to all external drives, sometimes just some of the drives, but almost always the Crucial X6 when opening the laptop / waking from sleep. And like the OP, often the message is repeated, although only a few times. Oddly, I also sometimes get the error message after waking even though the drives were intentionally ejected before sleep.

It seems odd that the cables would have just "gone bad" at the exact same time I switched to Ventura, or that Ventura somehow found a problem with the cables that Monterrey did not. It does seem fair to assume it is a problem with Ventura.

Oct 24, 2023 11:11 AM in response to Jayne De Sesa

This is a problem with Ventura OS. I have two LaCie Rugged 5TB hard drives that I use for covering events. I have two Macbook Pro's and the LaCies work fine on the one that runs an older operating system. They can stay plugged in without ever giving a Disk Not Ejected Properly message. On the Macbook Pro with Ventura OS it happens every time it goes to sleep.

Also the Macbook that I updated to Ventura worked for two years and never showed a Disk Not Ejected Properly message until I updated to Ventura.

Nov 3, 2023 12:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Interesting and helpful viewpoint. So it sounds like something is going wrong with the transition to (or perhaps from) sleep. That would be consistent with my observation that setting the drive not to sleep seems to stop the warning. That certainly could be a problem with the drive -- for example -- not reacting fast enough. What's interesting is that when I searched for "Drive Not Ejected Properly", it was not any single type of drive. In fact, I bought the Crucial SSdrive to replace a Seagate that failed after repeated Drive Not Ejected Properly warnings.

I wonder if the problem might be that that some part of the Ventura upgrade changed the process of triggering sleep enough to go beyond the tolerances of some drives which had worked with Monterey. That could cause the drives not to handle Sleep properly and cause the failures. Would that make switching off the sleep options a solution? Or at least a stopgap?

Thanks for your insight.

Disk Not Ejected Properly -- AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN AND AGAIN...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.