iMessage App not working

Every time I click on my iMessage app, it either freezes and my screen goes black. When I go into settings and attempt to click on the iMessage icon from there, to see if it's turned on, it does not open the settings page for it. I have updated my phone to latest update, have reset location setting, have restarted my phone multiple times, connected it to my laptop, and done a full backup. Anyone else have a similar experience?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 3:21 PM

This happens constantly to my iPhone 12 iOS 16 & 17. It’s maddening.

7 replies

Apr 20, 2023 7:34 PM in response to maddybxxx25

I have a few more suggestions that you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check for additional software updates: Go to Settings > General > Software Update to ensure you have the latest update installed, as there might have been a recent bug fix.

2. Reset Network Settings: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings, including Wi-Fi, mobile data, and VPN settings. You will need to re-enter your Wi-Fi credentials after this reset.

3. Sign out and sign back in to your Apple ID: Go to Settings > [your name] > Sign Out, and then sign back in with your Apple ID. This can help re-establish any connection issues with iMessage.

4. Disable and re-enable iMessage: Go to Settings > Messages and toggle off iMessage. Restart your iPhone, and then go back to Settings > Messages to toggle iMessage back on. This can sometimes fix glitches in the iMessage system.

5. Reset All Settings: If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Note that this will reset all of your preferences and settings, but your data and apps will remain intact.

Apr 18, 2024 1:53 PM in response to maddybxxx25

If anyone is still having this problem it may be your VPN.

I was experiencing this and called Apple Support. My VPN was disrupting the signal to my icloud. Here was the fix:

Settings -> General -> VPN Device Management

Click the i beside the VPN and delete it.

Delete the VPN app

Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone

Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

Your phone will restart

You will have to re-enter the passwords to your WiFi networks

Then you have the option to add your VPN back. You may have to contact your VPN customer service and tell them the problem you had so they don’t disrupt the signal. I haven’t done this step yet.

iMessage App not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.