Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Podcast app overheating iPhone 14 Pro Max since iOS 16.4.1

The only app I noticed to cause my iPhone to overheat while on mobile data. No problems with similar apps such as Spotify or YouTube. What are your observations?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 29, 2023 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 6:01 PM

I try to remain native to Apple apps when I can - but I finally gave up on Apple Podcasts. It is just a terrible app in terms of energy drain. Every other podcast app is massively better and I can’t figure out why Apple hasn’t fixed it. I have had the same issue since the iPhone 12 lineup and am on a 14 Pro and it is the same. Just had to get rid of the app.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Bulgarus

I try to remain native to Apple apps when I can - but I finally gave up on Apple Podcasts. It is just a terrible app in terms of energy drain. Every other podcast app is massively better and I can’t figure out why Apple hasn’t fixed it. I have had the same issue since the iPhone 12 lineup and am on a 14 Pro and it is the same. Just had to get rid of the app.

Aug 18, 2023 10:32 AM in response to Bulgarus

Turning off auto download didn't work for me when looking before. But what did work for me is unfollowing old pods which were no longer available. There wasn't an image but a grey apple podcast logo and it said there were no episodes. Most notable is the JRE after moving to Spotify. JRE was a huge podcast so I imagine this could be a reason so many are experiencing this problem.

After unfollowing inactive shows, i closed the app and hey presto. No more overheating and battery drain. I think there must be some kind of sync bug.

Hope this helps!

Apr 30, 2023 1:27 AM in response to Bulgarus

I have used them and never faced any heating issues with default iOS apps (including the Podcast app).

I am not aware of the ambient temperature in which you are using the iPhone. However --> Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable ...

Store the device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures. Using an iOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Jun 12, 2023 9:30 PM in response to kurshing

Agree, I have had mine since it came out and it absolutely only does this with Apple podcast. Downloaded again now, because it has been my go to since 2009 for podcasts, so far this is the only time it started heating up and now has cooled back down. I’m afraid to even have it installed, as just having it on my phone would cause random severe overheating at anytime, even if it was not playing. So trying it out again as some casts are available no where else. Hoping this bug is actually fixed.

Podcast app overheating iPhone 14 Pro Max since iOS 16.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.