Hey Siri, play LBC Radio.

Homepod has gone doolally again. Insists on playing some podcast by Ian Dale instead of live radio.

Posted on May 11, 2023 2:30 AM

11 replies

May 14, 2023 10:54 AM in response to mandruff

Hi mandruff,

To clarify, this is when attempting to prompt HomePod to play audio via Siri? Or are you passing audio off from your iPhone or other Apple device as outlined below?

If this is via Siri, does it seem to understand other commands better, or does it have difficulty understanding you at all?

Some additional details will help us determine our next steps to better assist you.

Cheers!

May 14, 2023 3:44 PM in response to mandruff

We appreciate the update mandruff,

From here, let's go ahead and be sure to try the steps under "Set up voice recognition" and "If Siri doesn't recognize you" at: Set up voice recognition on HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

While we know that Siri is currently recognizing your voice, these are great general troubleshooting steps that can be completed when Siri isn't working properly.

Let us know if that helps.

Have a lovely day!

May 14, 2023 1:07 PM in response to DerekM87

Hi. This is a recent problem when asking Siri to "Play LBC Radio" on my HomePod mini. I tried it just now, 14 May 2023 and it replied "Playing podcast cross question with Ian Dale" rather than live radio.

The LBC app can, when I instruct it, cast audio to the HomePod mini, but this is rather inconvenient and prone to dropping out. The Siri voice command worked reliably for many months until recently.

Thanks.

May 18, 2023 9:58 PM in response to mandruff

Yes, for radio stations, it's usually necessary to open the TuneIn app and search for the radio station you're after, then use the exact title used by TuneIn to identify the station. I saw "LBC UK" and "LBC London" as similar stations in this case.

The precise TuneIn station title 'string' is also necessary to find the station when searching for media to play in a Home Scene - then you can simply "Hey Siri, [Scene Name]".

May 23, 2023 11:41 PM in response to bgmeek

Thanks. The work around of "Play LBC UK" rather than "Play LBC Radio" has resolved it for now.

It doesn't change the facts that:

(a) "Play LBC Radio" via Siri has worked for the last few years, and only stopped working within the last month.

(b) Amazon echo has zero problem with following the command "Play LBC Radio"

(c) I'd imagine 90%+ of users would say "Play LBC Radio" not "Play LBC UK"

(d) Having to open up the TuneIn app, search for the radio station you want then extract the precise string it uses prior to making a request to Siri is not exactly likely to win Apple any usability awards.

May 2, 2024 11:59 PM in response to mandruff

yeah LBC is playing up again. Works for a few months then stops again. No idea why. I’ve got to say Apple HomePod is seriously more trouble than it’s worth. It’s expensive… I have four and pay family subscription to Apple Music too at £17 per month. I’m ready to ditch it purely because I cannot ever guarantee it’ll work. I sometimes spend 20 mins trying to get things going only to give up and listen to my iPhone. Apple really do need to get this sorted.

Hey Siri, play LBC Radio.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.