Airtag beeping sometimes. Why is that?

I have an airtag that I put it in my small child's school backpack. it is paired and set up to my iphone.

When my child came home from the bus today, my child's teacher aid asked me "what is this" while holding it in her hand. She said she found this in his backpack and that it was beeping in the classroom.

Now I didn't do anything. I didn't report is lost or did anything on" find my" app on my iphone at home.

I didn't get a chance to ask her how long did they hear the beep.

My question is, is this supposed to beep when it is away from me in his backpack at school? How long do they beep? Anyway to turn off the beeping?

Also once in a while, sometimes even at home where the bagpack is and where my iphone is, i could hear beep from the backpack. doesn't beep all the time at home but it does beep abour two or three times at home sometimes when we have the backpack at home with me.

thanks

AirTag

Posted on May 23, 2023 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 8:22 AM

This is idiotic and just one more example of Apple dictating how you use their products, even when there is a solid reason for using them a different way.

I have AirTags on both sets of my car keys. I have a big set with all my office and other work keys, and the other is just the car key. I only take one at time when I drive.

The exclusion zone “solution” is just a clumsy work around, when it would be far easier to just enable turning this off entirely.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Tesserax

This is idiotic and just one more example of Apple dictating how you use their products, even when there is a solid reason for using them a different way.

I have AirTags on both sets of my car keys. I have a big set with all my office and other work keys, and the other is just the car key. I only take one at time when I drive.

The exclusion zone “solution” is just a clumsy work around, when it would be far easier to just enable turning this off entirely.

May 24, 2023 6:58 AM in response to myapple312

The issue is that, since this AirTag is associated to your Apple ID ... and to your iPhone, when it becomes separated from that iPhone for a period of time, it will start beeping.

That is the way it is designed to work. It is not meant to track people or pets, but to help you locate a missing item.

... and no, if you continue to use this in this fashion, there is no way to disable the beeping. That is, without you child having their own iPhone/Apple ID associated with an AirTag, and they then have this phone with them.

One potential means to stop it from beeping is to configure your child's school to be one of the locations that the AirTag will "know." You would use the Find My's "Notify When Left Behind" option, and create an exception ... and you would do this via the Find My app on your iPhone.

Airtag beeping sometimes. Why is that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.