Missing messages app on icloud

Hello, It looks like my messages app was deleted from my icloud account. I cannot find it listed anywhere. Would someone help me to recover it?

Thank you!

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 11:28 AM

9 replies

Oct 26, 2023 12:01 PM in response to muguy

M1 iMac, Ventura 13.5.2. Messages app disappeared as of 19 October 2023 from iCloud.com and System Settings > iCloud > Apps Using iCloud. Had worked fine until then. Messages app is still on the computer itself. In Messages > Settings, Enable Messages in iCloud is checked. So far I have run Disk Utility and restarted - no luck. Booted in Safe mode, ran Disk Utilities again, shut down, re-started - no luck.

Checked iCloud storage. Messages are still stored. When I open Messages on the computer, all my messages up to 19 October are there.

How do I get Messages back in iCloud.com and as an app using iCloud in System settings?

Oct 27, 2023 9:38 AM in response to muguy

I am afraid we are not on the same wavelength. Perhaps my ignorance or my failure to properly communicate the situation is to blame. I changed no settings prior to the Messages app disappearing. Until October 19 messages were iCloud enabled and worked fine. When I set up the computer in the first place, I was directed to System Settings, iCloud, so I could adjust which apps were backed up in iCloud. Messages was one I selected. Many months ago I paid for iCloud+. Northing changed except I had increased memory available. On both occasions, Messages showed with the other apps that were backed up to iCloud. When I look at the memory that is currently stored, messages are there. If I go to icloud.com, it mirrors the set up in System Settings. All of the apps that I see in one I also see in the other. The Messages app is not in either place. It seems counterintuitive to disable the feature that says "enable messages in iCloud". Enabling it is one thing Apple support tells you to do when you want messages saved to iCloud. I also see that is a response made to other inquiries about why messages were not being saved to iCloud: "make sure enable messages in iCloud is checked". However, based on your answer, I disabled that feature. Restarted my computer. I still have no messages app showing up in either System Settings > iCloud or in iCloud.com. I do not know how the Messages app can have disappeared from those two places, but I think the solution is to find a way to put it back there. Finally, muguy, I do really appreciate the effort you put into helping users as you obviously have done so to accumulate 74,282 points. That said, I respectfully suggest your answer to the first person who asked this and to me be viewed as a little too cryptic. In any event, I hope you have a great day.

Missing messages app on icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.