Frustrating message on iPad and iPhone: Update Apple ID settings

My wife is a family member on my Apple account. Both her iPhone and iPad show a problem in settings: "Update Apple ID settings. Some account services will not be available until you sign in again." I have seen several threads with the same problem and most have no solution and any I tried did not work. I have done the following:

Changed id email and password

Added more iCloud storage

Signed out and in of account

Rebooted

Ensured current operating system.

The devices are iPad Air 5 and iPhone XS. Is this a bug in the operating system or is there a solution? Why is there no indication of what needs to be updated? I would be grateful for any ideas.

iPad Air 2

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 12:28 PM

Read the document:

Manage Apple ID settings on iPhone - Apple Support

- Make sure you are signed into your account

- Verify payment method(s) and billing address as described in Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support . Items in red have problems.

- If you're using other Apple IDs with services such as Messages or the App Store, make sure those are signed in too.

Other things to try:

- Check that there isn't an issue with Apple's servers: Apple - Support - System Status

- Try restarting your device.

- Check your software is up to date.

If you still have questions or problems:

To contact Apple, click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 12:28 PM in response to RT1225

Read the document:

Manage Apple ID settings on iPhone - Apple Support

- Make sure you are signed into your account

- Verify payment method(s) and billing address as described in Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support . Items in red have problems.

- If you're using other Apple IDs with services such as Messages or the App Store, make sure those are signed in too.

Other things to try:

- Check that there isn't an issue with Apple's servers: Apple - Support - System Status

- Try restarting your device.

- Check your software is up to date.

If you still have questions or problems:

To contact Apple, click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Jun 17, 2023 8:52 AM in response to RT1225

Well I guess it is a bug in the operating system and Apple has not yet resolved it (but is still working on it). Here is part of the response after 3 days of testing and diagnostics:

"After reviewing the data we collected, our engineers found the condition

you're experiencing has already been identified; they're currently

working on a fix, but we don’t have a time frame that we can provide at

this point. 

Moving forward we want to make sure your software is kept up to date

up-to-date, as a resolution would most likely come from a future update."

Jun 10, 2023 11:57 AM in response to RT1225

In trying to resolve this issue I spent 3 hours on the phone with an Apple tech yesterday. He said there are several cases with a similar problem and he tried most of the solutions that had been found. We tried modifying every possible parameter and logging in and out repeatedly but had no fix. The tech was fully engaged and we have another call arranged for Monday when we will do screen recording on both devices and do analytic scans so the information can be sent to Apple engineers to work on a solution.

Jun 19, 2023 2:57 AM in response to RT1225

Update Apple ID Settings.

Some account services will not be available until you sign in again.

Continue

Two weeks ago I upgraded my iPhone 7 to an iPhone 14. Since then I've been unable to back up anything to iCloud.

I'm stick in a Catch 22 loop. I enter my apple ID password, click continue and it takes be back to where I started. I changed my password and restarted my phone. There is sufficient iCloud storage and wifi is strong but still nothing. Apparently this is a known issue with as yet no solution.

Any help gratefully received. One of the perils of upgrading your iPhone.

Jun 19, 2023 8:47 AM in response to mediamanGT

Hi mediamanGT. Sorry you are having a similar problem to mine. Yes it seems that the problem with the ID account is messing up access to Cloud storage too. I am not satisfied that we have to wait for possible solutions to come through iOS updates but I guess it is better than nothing. If you have not done so already, you might want to contact Apple help as the agent spent a lot of time trying to solve my problem. They have several procedures that may have worked for other users, but they did not help me.

Jun 19, 2023 11:07 AM in response to RT1225

I contacted Apple support. I spoke to one agent who passed me over to the senior support team. This person was very helpful and was able to connect to my iPhone to view the issue. They instructed me to log out of Apple ID and then log back in again with my Apple ID password. Something I’d considered previously but was apprehensive about trying on my own. This solved the problem. Apple support in my experience were very prompt and helpful but I appreciate this course of action hasn’t worked for everyone.

Jun 27, 2023 3:51 PM in response to RT1225

My wife is a family member on my Apple account. Both her iPhone and iPad show a problem in settings: "Update Apple ID settings. Some account services will not be available until you sign in again." I have seen several threads with the same problem and most have no solution and any I tried did not work. I have done the following:

Changed id email and password

Added more iCloud storage

Signed out and in of account

Rebooted

Ensured current operating system.

The devices are iPad Air 5 and iPhone XS. Is this a bug in the operating system or is there a solution? Why is there no indication of what needs to be updated? I would be grateful for any ideas.

Less

uuil l

Frustrating message on iPad and iPhone: Update Apple ID settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.