Homekit automations and scenes broken with Somfy Tahoma blinds

I have been using Somfy Tahoma outdoor blinds with an official Homekit support. Everything works relatively fine when controlling blinds with Siri or directly in Home app. But there are two major issues:

1) Automations that include blinds stops executing after like a second. It starts executing (i.e. closing the blind), but stops immediately. When I run the same command through Siri/Home app, it runs well (except the tilt horizontal angle, see below). It's so frustrating, because Homekit is totally useless for controlling blinds.

2) Blinds tilt horizontal angle - it works just randomly through Homekit. Sometimes it changes the tilt angle right, sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it does the opposite (i.e. closing the tilt instead of opening and vice-versa). Sometimes, you just need to run the scene 3 times to do it right. I have a suspicion, that the integration with Homekit is just broken and Somfy treats the horizontal angle as percentage, while Homekit treats it as degrees. Anyway, it's not usable at all.

The official Somfy technical support stated that this is an issue on the Apple side and that their customers report similar problems with Homekit. Scenes/automations through their Tahoma app works great, but I cannot control other Homekit accessories there. And through Homekit I cannot reliably control my blinds, so it's useless for me.

HomePod, 16

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 9:27 AM

Summary of the issue with Somfy Tahoma blinds with Apple Home/Homekit integration:

PROBLEM:

When you set a blind in Apple Home app in a scene/automation and run it, it sends two commands at the same time to the blind:

1. Target state (i.e. 100 % open, 50 % open, 0 % open)
  2. Target horizontal tilt angle (i.e. -90 degrees)

Tahoma starts performing the first action (i.e. opening/closing), but it immediately gets also the second action and stops performing the first one. Which is why it rarely does the right thing.

SOLUTION:

You need to send only one of the above command at the same time to Tahoma in order it to work correctly. Unfortunately, this is not possible with the Apple Home app.

If you don't want to use Homebridge, you need to install a third party Homekit app (like Eve or, in my case, Home+). There you can set only one command (either open/close, or change the horizontal tilt angle).

However, you sometimes want to do both at the same time, right (closing the blind will make your room dark, so you also want to change the tilt angle to -90 degrees).

Well, there is only a workaround that works for me:

• If I want to completely close the blind and make the room dark, I just close the blind (target state: 0% open).

• When I want to open it, again one command (target state: 100% open).

• When I want to simulate the above two commands state with sunlight coming in, but don't want the blind to be open completely, I put it to target state: 1% open. The key is to send only this one command, not sending two (see the screenshot).

• Then I have a Homekit automation in the Home+ (you cannot do that in the Apple Home app again), that triggers when the blind state position changed to "Stopped", and if the current state is in between 1 to 99 %, it performs an autofix action - it sends the command "target horizontal tilt angle" always to -90 degrees (or any other value you prefer, but unfortunately it works reliably only with values -90 or 0).

• In that way, the second command always get executed only after the first one, so Tahoma does both.

Downsides:

• You can use only one tilt angle value when the blind is open in scenes/automations. Everything else will be suppressed by the autofix automation.

• If you have any Tahoma scenarios in their app, this automation will react to them as well and will change the tilt angle always to -90 if the blind is at least 1% open.

• However, if you just change the tilt angle (either in the app or via remote control), it stays until the next opening/closing, since changing the tilt angle only will not trigger the "stopped" event.

I attach my autofix automation in the post. Hopefully this will help someone.

It is unbelievable customers have to make these hacks when using pricey professional solution like Apple Home.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 9:27 AM in response to ikv701

Summary of the issue with Somfy Tahoma blinds with Apple Home/Homekit integration:

PROBLEM:

When you set a blind in Apple Home app in a scene/automation and run it, it sends two commands at the same time to the blind:

1. Target state (i.e. 100 % open, 50 % open, 0 % open)
  2. Target horizontal tilt angle (i.e. -90 degrees)

Tahoma starts performing the first action (i.e. opening/closing), but it immediately gets also the second action and stops performing the first one. Which is why it rarely does the right thing.

SOLUTION:

You need to send only one of the above command at the same time to Tahoma in order it to work correctly. Unfortunately, this is not possible with the Apple Home app.

If you don't want to use Homebridge, you need to install a third party Homekit app (like Eve or, in my case, Home+). There you can set only one command (either open/close, or change the horizontal tilt angle).

However, you sometimes want to do both at the same time, right (closing the blind will make your room dark, so you also want to change the tilt angle to -90 degrees).

Well, there is only a workaround that works for me:

• If I want to completely close the blind and make the room dark, I just close the blind (target state: 0% open).

• When I want to open it, again one command (target state: 100% open).

• When I want to simulate the above two commands state with sunlight coming in, but don't want the blind to be open completely, I put it to target state: 1% open. The key is to send only this one command, not sending two (see the screenshot).

• Then I have a Homekit automation in the Home+ (you cannot do that in the Apple Home app again), that triggers when the blind state position changed to "Stopped", and if the current state is in between 1 to 99 %, it performs an autofix action - it sends the command "target horizontal tilt angle" always to -90 degrees (or any other value you prefer, but unfortunately it works reliably only with values -90 or 0).

• In that way, the second command always get executed only after the first one, so Tahoma does both.

Downsides:

• You can use only one tilt angle value when the blind is open in scenes/automations. Everything else will be suppressed by the autofix automation.

• If you have any Tahoma scenarios in their app, this automation will react to them as well and will change the tilt angle always to -90 if the blind is at least 1% open.

• However, if you just change the tilt angle (either in the app or via remote control), it stays until the next opening/closing, since changing the tilt angle only will not trigger the "stopped" event.

I attach my autofix automation in the post. Hopefully this will help someone.

It is unbelievable customers have to make these hacks when using pricey professional solution like Apple Home.

Jun 9, 2023 10:51 AM in response to ikv701

Hello ikv701,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have some questions about HomeKit, and using it with a third party accessory, and we'd like to help. As you have already spoken to their support team, and still having issues, the following link could help with what you're seeing as it helps with some issues you may encounter with HomeKit and accessories: If your HomeKit or Matter accessory isn't responding in the Home app - Apple Support

If accessories from one manufacturer aren't responding
Check if your smart home accessories are responding in the Home app after each step.
1. Turn on Bluetooth in the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad, or in System Settings on your Mac.
2. Restart any accessories that aren't responding. You may have to take the batteries out of your accessory and put them back in.
3. Check the manufacturer's app to see if accessories that aren't responding in the Home app need a firmware update. If the accessories aren't responding in the manufacturer's app, you may need to reset them.
4. Restart any third-party bridges and all home hubs (HomePod, HomePod mini, and Apple TV) by unplugging then plugging them back into power.
5. Remove accessories that aren't responding from the Home app. Select an accessory, scroll down to accessory settings, and select Remove Accessory. If you don't see the option to remove the accessory in the Home app, it must be removed through the manufacturer's app. After you remove the accessories, follow the manufacturer's instructions to reset them and add them to the Home app again.
If your accessories still aren't responding, contact the manufacturer for support.

However, if those steps don't help, the manufacturer of the blinds would be your best option from here.

Regards.

Jun 10, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Jmanna13

Hello Jmanna13,

thank you for your reply, however, it isn't helpful in my case. The Homekit accessory IS responding and I can always see its state in the Home app, it just behaves incorrectly.

The issue here is the wrong integration into Apple Home. I am not sure if Apple or Tahoma is here to blame, but I am shocked this can have the official Apple Home certification and support. There are tons of reports on the forums and FB groups of Tahoma customers who are experiencing the exactly same thing and cannot use Apple Home automations at all with Tahoma blinds.

Let me explain what the problem is: When you set blinds state in Apple Home app in a scene or an automation, then run it, it sends both the target position and horizontal tilt angle position to the blind. Tahoma treats it as two commands, so while it performs changing the position (i.e. closing/opening), it stops after it gets the second command to change the horizontal tilt angle (Tahoma app does it differently - first it changes the position, only then the tilt angle).

The "solution" here is to use a third party Homekit app like Eve or Home+, where you can send only one command to the blind - either the position or the tilt angle. Then it works fine. Or when you use Siri and say "hey siri, open/close the living room window", it works, because it sends only a command for opening/closing, no tilt angle command. However, this is highly unpractical as sometimes you want to change both, of course (i.e. closing the blind will make your room dark, so you want to also to set the tilt angle to -90 degrees to let the sunlight in).

Again, I'm amazed this integration can have the official Apple Home certification, and both Apple and Somfy/Tahoma don't care it doesn't work at all.

Homekit automations and scenes broken with Somfy Tahoma blinds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.