Crossfade not working properly on Mac

I am running Mac Ventura 13.4

I have an Apple Music subscription and the crossfade feature has not been working properly for many months.

I know the route to activate on the Mac: Music>Settings>Playback

Is there a reason why the feature no longer works on my Mac?

I have the M2 MBA that was purchased last year.

I also am aware the feature is not available on my iPhone or iOS but I read everywhere the feature should work on my Mac.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Air, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 3:54 PM

Alright, just got off the phone with an Apple "higher Tier" support after I went thru online chat support and then getting called back only to speak with 3 more people before finally ending up with someone that 'seemingly' was a bit more knowledgable... 

Fact is: Unless the user jumps thru a truckload of hoops and loops, crossfade WILL SIMPLY NOT WORK!

My background? I go waaaaaaay back with Apple products having started using their products in the early 90s.

I made that also clear from the get go that I'm pretty tech savvy and no newbie that only has limited Apple or even general computer experience, because I'm tired of getting the same old generic and trained responses from support on how to e.g. start up a Mac or an app or repeating the same generic stuff to me over and over – I simply refuse to accept these generic responses, I'm too advanced for that tbh :[

Anyway back to the matter at hand...

According to Apple, in order to make Crossfade work you need to meet ALL requirements (NO AirPlay, NO lossless or Dolby Atmos, NO crossfading within same album – must be different albums and NO scrubbing/speeding up a track to avoid missing the window to crossfade). And how is a 'normal' user even supposed to learn about all that without digging far deep online – it is not made easy to find by Apple anywhere or else we wouldn't be talking about this topic still after years.

So far so –well– ok, not good but lets move on...

He said, for it to work that I have to download EVERY track that is delivered with lossless quality regardless of whether I have the option enabled in settings which I do not (as well as disabled Dolby Atmos). Downloading would strip the tracks of the lossless feature which is true. And I assume that today prob MOST tracks are delivered in lossless quality.

BUT REALLY?!?! I told him (and he also could see this while screen sharing) that I have a vast amount of tracks in library and playlists, it would be very very inconvenient for an end user to having to download ALL lossless tracks only in order to be able to use crossfade. And then I'm stuck with a ton of downloaded songs on my Mac cluttering up my hard drive because in return if you remove the downloads you'll end up with a useless crossfade feature again.

Why the heck is there an option to enable/disable lossless/dolby atmos in the settings to begin with IF this has no influence whatsoever on the overall usage of music????????

In addition that person also failed to explain to me WHY IT DOES WORK ON IPHONE but NOT ON DESKTOP!

Again, REALLY Apple?!?!?!

I'm getting a bit tired of Apple tbh and would've never thought it would come this thinking, I was always a die hard Apple supporter.

He referred me to apple.com/feedback to express my concern – umm?! How long is Music out on the market and how long do we have that useless crossfade function by now???

If you ask me now, the only concern or more of a (unrealistic) request I would make would be, to BRING BACK STEVE JOBS!!!

Because until his untimely passing, Apple was a truly innovative tech company that wouldn't have put such stress on its users. But today it's only all about making the greens and more greens while slowly fading into a mediocrity down to the very same level of Microsoft, Android etc etc. Apple products used to be a statement, always something better than the rest.

Well, not anymore. For me it's now merely a preference to still work with Apple products, but the question is for how long still???

Apple... straight 'F' in this matter for sure!

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 3:54 PM in response to machado22

Alright, just got off the phone with an Apple "higher Tier" support after I went thru online chat support and then getting called back only to speak with 3 more people before finally ending up with someone that 'seemingly' was a bit more knowledgable... 

Fact is: Unless the user jumps thru a truckload of hoops and loops, crossfade WILL SIMPLY NOT WORK!

My background? I go waaaaaaay back with Apple products having started using their products in the early 90s.

I made that also clear from the get go that I'm pretty tech savvy and no newbie that only has limited Apple or even general computer experience, because I'm tired of getting the same old generic and trained responses from support on how to e.g. start up a Mac or an app or repeating the same generic stuff to me over and over – I simply refuse to accept these generic responses, I'm too advanced for that tbh :[

Anyway back to the matter at hand...

According to Apple, in order to make Crossfade work you need to meet ALL requirements (NO AirPlay, NO lossless or Dolby Atmos, NO crossfading within same album – must be different albums and NO scrubbing/speeding up a track to avoid missing the window to crossfade). And how is a 'normal' user even supposed to learn about all that without digging far deep online – it is not made easy to find by Apple anywhere or else we wouldn't be talking about this topic still after years.

So far so –well– ok, not good but lets move on...

He said, for it to work that I have to download EVERY track that is delivered with lossless quality regardless of whether I have the option enabled in settings which I do not (as well as disabled Dolby Atmos). Downloading would strip the tracks of the lossless feature which is true. And I assume that today prob MOST tracks are delivered in lossless quality.

BUT REALLY?!?! I told him (and he also could see this while screen sharing) that I have a vast amount of tracks in library and playlists, it would be very very inconvenient for an end user to having to download ALL lossless tracks only in order to be able to use crossfade. And then I'm stuck with a ton of downloaded songs on my Mac cluttering up my hard drive because in return if you remove the downloads you'll end up with a useless crossfade feature again.

Why the heck is there an option to enable/disable lossless/dolby atmos in the settings to begin with IF this has no influence whatsoever on the overall usage of music????????

In addition that person also failed to explain to me WHY IT DOES WORK ON IPHONE but NOT ON DESKTOP!

Again, REALLY Apple?!?!?!

I'm getting a bit tired of Apple tbh and would've never thought it would come this thinking, I was always a die hard Apple supporter.

He referred me to apple.com/feedback to express my concern – umm?! How long is Music out on the market and how long do we have that useless crossfade function by now???

If you ask me now, the only concern or more of a (unrealistic) request I would make would be, to BRING BACK STEVE JOBS!!!

Because until his untimely passing, Apple was a truly innovative tech company that wouldn't have put such stress on its users. But today it's only all about making the greens and more greens while slowly fading into a mediocrity down to the very same level of Microsoft, Android etc etc. Apple products used to be a statement, always something better than the rest.

Well, not anymore. For me it's now merely a preference to still work with Apple products, but the question is for how long still???

Apple... straight 'F' in this matter for sure!

Jun 13, 2023 9:07 PM in response to mikeg28806

Crossfade does not work on my Mac regardless of what songs I play or which playlists I am listening to. Crossfade on my Mac can be set to 1 second or 12 seconds and the feature does not work and I can't recall the last time it did work properly. When working the feature is terrific and effective. Just a shame that Apple Music once again fails to provide their paid customers full service

Jan 1, 2024 11:39 PM in response to Don.Milano

Apple Music is a HUGE disappointment after how extremely well iTunes worked. My OS Sonoma 14.1.1 with Apple Music sometimes the crossfade works and sometimes it doesn't. It's hard to believe how crappy Apple Music is after years and years of all things Apple being wonderful. What's going on with that company? Didn't they talk to anybody with a large library (10,000 songs +)?

Nov 10, 2023 2:10 AM in response to mikeg28806

Hopeless cop out! You know full-well crossfade is NOT working on Mac, test it yourself and you'll see! Crossfade works perfectly on iPhone (currently 7.1.1) regardless of 'lossless' and 'same album' and all the other excuses you come up with! if IOS has got it right, why can't you? No more silly excuses and 'waste of time' replies, just fix it PLEASE!

Jun 13, 2023 2:12 PM in response to machado22

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities machado22,

We recommend testing to see whether the behavior occurs across more than one playlist, and when listening through different headphones or speakers, both wired and wireless if possible. That may help narrow down the cause.

If the issue seems to occur regardless of the playlist or device you listen through, contact Apple Support who can work with you to investigate further. They can be reached here: Get Support

Cheers!

Crossfade not working properly on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.