Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why can't I print directly from a Brother DCP-T420W connected to Wi-Fi on iMac?

Any advice to actually print using a Macintosh computer? There are many [unanswered] posts but no solutions. A new DCP-T420W connects to WiFI but can't print directly. No drivers on Apple or Brother sites. Using a USB cable also fails to print on an iMac running Ventura 13.4. The Brother iPrint&Scan only allows printing of JPG or PDF. The email option does not open an email app. The latest driver on the Brother website doesn't work.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 4:12 AM

Brother DCP-T420W Printer CUPS driver!! I don't know how to share files here. I hope the link works!

Dropbox Link for two files, including a CUPS driver for the DCP-T420W

41 replies

Jun 15, 2023 3:18 AM in response to BDAqua

I contacted Brother using Chat in Thailand. I was connected to Nong Care, who emailed two files.

https://www.brother.co.th/th-th.

Here is the text in the email:

"As our previous conversation over chat channel, kindly use “Brother_PrinterDrivers_Inkjet19.7z” to install the driver from attachment and read the document of how to install this driver from attached file as well. 

NOTE:   Model DCP-T420W does not have the full driver for Mac users because the model does not support Airprint, or does not have the Airprint to work with macOS. 

AirPrint is a feature in Apple without the need to download or install drivers.

Therefore, we create the Adhoc driver for the customers who do not know that the printer does not support Airprint. 

Please use the driver provided in attached file and follow the instructions provided below and how to add printer driver in the attachment after installing the driver completely.

Instructions (Please read and follow carefully)

1. Please save as "Brother_PrinterDrivers_Inkjet19.7z" file on your computer and extract the file.
  2. Install Driver Utilities and follow the steps or instructions of how to install the driver from attached file. (Easy steps to follow)"

I installed the CUPS drive and the printer now prints perfectly. No need to use the limited iPrint&Scan either!

How can I share the files?

Nov 11, 2023 1:26 AM in response to rjduffy

Thanks a lot, Robert.

I've tried the shared Drivers on my Mac running macOS Sonoma 14, and it worked with my Brother DCP-T426W printer. I have been bothered by iPrint&Scan since I bought the printer but now I can finally print directly from MS Word or from any other apps.

* I've selected Brother DCP-T428W CUPS from the Drivers list.

I hope this will help someone using Brother DCP-T426W printer.

Why can't I print directly from a Brother DCP-T420W connected to Wi-Fi on iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.