I was scammed by the application BetterMe

BetterMe Scam App

I was scammed by the application BetterMe on 18th of June 2023. This app stole my money! They took $16 for monthly subscription and also 61$ without my permission. And also there is not even any info in the app about this amount of money.

I was shocked when i saw it in my bank account and immideatly wrote to the support and they just ignore me. Also i found a lot of people which was scammed by this application too.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 2:44 AM

Happened to me as well — I removed the app and the subscription and somehow they were still able to charge my PayPal account. I was able to obtain almost a full refund-they kept the $15, but I was charged monthly for 5 mos and didn’t realize until I reviewed a bank statement! They DID refund me though—I had to email support and push, at first they only offered 50%—which was odd and also very “scam”-worthy. They eventually gave in and refunded the charges. ANYONE READING THIS DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE THE BETTER ME APP. uggggg

Similar questions

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2023 2:44 AM in response to Arinadaa

Happened to me as well — I removed the app and the subscription and somehow they were still able to charge my PayPal account. I was able to obtain almost a full refund-they kept the $15, but I was charged monthly for 5 mos and didn’t realize until I reviewed a bank statement! They DID refund me though—I had to email support and push, at first they only offered 50%—which was odd and also very “scam”-worthy. They eventually gave in and refunded the charges. ANYONE READING THIS DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE THE BETTER ME APP. uggggg

Oct 5, 2023 8:58 PM in response to MrBill3

MrBill3, this is wrong, you cannot cancel the subscription yourself

the app is a total scam:

1. they promise a month trial, when you turn auto-renew off you get a message offerring one more free month. in fact, they start charging you on the first day.

2. when you try to cancel the subscription it is impossible, they redirect you to their website where you can't login

3. they send a misleading email saying "sorry to see you leave" letting you believe you unsubscribed, whereas in fact there's another step you need to do, which is ask for cancellation on the website, see the previous point

4. you cannot ask for a refund from apple, because they don't list your subscription, so it is not there to get a refund

5. they also don't write your recurring payment as a standing order, so you can't cancel it through the credit card company. what they actually do is charge you month by month.

I had to cancel my credit card completely and get a new one, in order to stop payments.

Nov 7, 2023 11:41 AM in response to APMinn

Well I had my payments set up through PayPal, so I was able to cancel through there. However, BetterMe did respond to my email, and they said you have to cancel through their website, not the app store. After a long time emailing with them, they ended up refunding me, however, it was a long process.

They tried to say that everything was "stated in their terms and conditions", but I fought them on that, so they offered me a month of free BetterMe, but I declined that and said I just want a refund, and finally they refunded me.

(This is very summed up)

I hope you get everything sorted with them!

Nov 14, 2023 6:37 AM in response to RedBrick12

Update: I requested an cancel-payment via Paypal but they denied it on the grounds of "we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use."

BUT BetterMe finally refunded me the full $199 after I turned down their offer of 6 months of free service of the app with only a $60 refund. Here's the language I used that worked in case anyone else needs to use it:

"No thank you. I AM REQUIRING A FULL REFUND OF $199.01 for all of these charges that I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR NOR DID I APPROVE. You accessed my Paypal account via my email address linked to it and charged my account without my consent."

Nov 6, 2023 7:41 AM in response to MrBill3

MrBill3 absolutely NOT the correct answer.

the way their scam is done, payments do not go through apple billing, but through the victim's credit cards.

that's one. the next step in their scam is not write the payment as an ongoing charge, but send it each month as a new bill. this way you cannot cancel the ongoing charge.

nasty.

I had to cancel my credit card to stop the payments.

i honestly don't get how apple don't throw the app down the drain, with so many reports and feedback and reviews that say IT IS A SCAM

Feb 23, 2024 3:33 PM in response to Arinadaa

I was scammed by the application BetterMe as well. they charged me for months without my consent and there are no subscriptions against my apple account. I ended up cancelling my credit card. I sent many request to betterme but they are ignoring this. I dont know why apple doesnt band these types of apps that scams apple customers. very dissapointed

Oct 16, 2023 11:57 PM in response to Emma_Mihaj

I have read somewhere that you have to cancell your membership on their web page and then they will send you a confirmation email which you have to click on and confirm once again. I did it and I received the email DAYS later! I confirmed it so I hope they will not charge me anything this month. If yes, I will have to block my debit card and get a new one! They are such criminals! They’ve stolen almost a $100 from me. I wrote them to refund all of it so I hope they will return at least some part.

Oct 29, 2023 6:53 PM in response to Arinadaa

Same problem here.They consecutively deducted my Sgd 51.39 for 3 months .I noticed about that at first month and I write email to them for unsubscribe and refund. Nobody responded ,received auto reply only. I thought they will follow up and I also forgot to check. And after that I found out they deducted for another 2 months again . I keep writing to them but no news. So I wrote a review with 1 star for their scam motive . There I saw many ppl complain about same issue.APPLE SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THOSE SCAM APPS . I lost total 150sgd + for this app and there will be more if Apple don't help us.

Jan 19, 2024 3:03 PM in response to Arinadaa

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear about this, you can get a refund AND report BetterMe as a scam by going to https://reportaproblem.apple.com/

If you're still being charged, here is an Apple Support article with steps on how to cancel any sort of reoccurring payment on iPhone: If you want to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support

Hope this helps!

-Dallen

I was scammed by the application BetterMe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.