Spam group facetime calls??

I am getting a group facetime call over and over and over. I decline and it pops right back up almost immediately. The area code of many of the numbers (there are 30 or so) are from the area my son went to school and a few rando ones I don’t know. I blocked all the numbers, and 10 minutes later, another facetime with different numbers. 😡 How do I make this stop??

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2023 7:23 AM

This same thing happened to me last night and this morning. In Settings, under FaceTime there is an option to Silence Unknown Callers. It doesn't stop the FaceTimes from coming in, but you won't be alerted each time since you are not saving any of these numbers to you contacts.

9 replies

Jul 9, 2023 3:07 PM in response to toonces_the_cat

This just happened to me last night and the suggestions I've received so far haven't been helpful (except possibly one). I deleted the FaceTime app and it continued. I individually blocked each number and it still continued. FYI, It appears to be a form of a prank (as opposed to fraud) where people are fishing for irate and/or confused reactions.

I chatted with Apple and the person/bot hadn't heard of this happening, even though Googling "FaceTime Group Spam" results in plenty of reports, including articles and Apple discussion groups dating to 2020.

Apple Support suggested setting FT to receive only calls from people I know, but that means I risk missing FT calls from people I don't know who legitimately need to reach me. Another suggestion was the ol' hard restart, which of course did nothing. I then went through two more levels of Apple Support and they only suggested the same things I'd already tried.

Next step is to contact my phone carrier to report all the numbers I took screenshots of from FT.

BEST TRY SO FAR: I found an online suggestion to unlink my phone number from my FT so that people wishing to FT me can only do it through my Apple ID and not my number. That may have worked, as I haven't gotten more calls yet, but it's not ideal since a lot of people who FT me use my number.

Good luck! I know how ridiculously frustrating it is and nobody wants to have to change their phone number.

Dec 30, 2023 12:58 AM in response to toonces_the_cat

I’m not sure what to do. It’s 2 in the morning. The best I could do is go into my facetime app, click the information button and start randomly blocking people. I didn’t realize the group was so big, I thought maybe some little kids thought I was someone else so I angrily texted someone telling them to stop calling me at 2 am. They seemed pretty frustrated too. I wish I could block whole groups of callers, or figure out who is actually the one making these and calling so I knew who to block. This is so weird, I kind of wished I joined to know what the point of this was

Jan 30, 2024 12:41 AM in response to toonces_the_cat

this had happened to me a whole 6-7 months later and it quite literally scared me kept getting face timed, and even received a text from a guy either part of the prank or scam who messaged me from what it looks to be Pittsburg which shocked me as i dont even live in America, saying “yo??” this has quite literally confused me as there is a name in the face time call who i recognise but i dont know how to go about it, it seems like the same issue but realistically doesnt seem like theres a definitive way to solve it

Apr 7, 2024 1:58 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

such a pathetic company that it cannot create a contingency for this type of scenario rather just tell the customer “eh try to block them” maybe integrate a system so that you are able to exit or “exit and block” a group facetime since this is such a reoccuring theme. but no just keep up your pathetic slipshod insufferable helpless status that wreaks havoc on the average apple consumer. donkat do better🥱

Jul 3, 2023 2:42 PM in response to toonces_the_cat

Hi toonces_the_cat,

If they keep adding new numbers, the only thing you can do with the iPhone is continue to block those numbers. You can reach out to Apple Support for more information here: Get Support

If you are in the US, you can also report these directly to the agency that handles these types of scam phone calls. The email address and information is listed here: Recognise and avoid phishing messages, phoney support calls and other scams – Apple Support

* Report scam phone calls to the Federal Trade Commission (US only) at reportfraud.ftc.gov or to your local law enforcement agency.

Good luck!

Spam group facetime calls??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.