Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MLS Season Pass judder

My MLS content is choppy. I'm on an Apple TV 4K and Samsung TV. I have seen several reports of this, so have gone through a few the troubleshooting steps in related posts. "Match Content Range/Frame Rate" did not change anything. When I pause the video briefly the stutter/judder clears up for about 15s. No other apps or streaming video are having this problem, it seems to be relegated to sports on the Apple TV (Ted Lasso, no other content is stuttering). And I really want to watch these matches, so please if anyone has a suggestion, I'm kind of at a loss.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 6:37 PM

AppleTV live content with MLS is literally unwatchable. Live content does not include audio or is extremely choppy on fiber optic connection.

YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Disney plus all work fine. AppleTV streaming of TV shows and movies is fine. Live MLS is the worst example of Live TV streaming I've ever seen

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2023 6:37 PM in response to aebaugh

AppleTV live content with MLS is literally unwatchable. Live content does not include audio or is extremely choppy on fiber optic connection.

YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Disney plus all work fine. AppleTV streaming of TV shows and movies is fine. Live MLS is the worst example of Live TV streaming I've ever seen

Sep 20, 2023 8:13 PM in response to aebaugh

If you go into Settings/VideoandAudio/Format, you can change it from 4K SDR to 4K HDR. Once I did that, the stuttering stopped. It doesn't look as good, but it's smooth and there is no delay from the sound to the picture.

The problem seems to be squarely on how the SDR feed is being displayed. Apple should look into a bug fix for that. It has zero to do with Internet network strength, quality, or anything else.

Sep 4, 2023 12:47 PM in response to aebaugh

I have the same issue, but I am only seeing this on my 4K AppleTV - if I watch on my MacBook Pro via wireless, it is fine. AppleTV that is *wired* is unwatchable. It makes no sense except to say that there is some sort of unnamed flaw in the AppleTV. Not sure I'm getting my money's worth being restricted from watching on my AppleTV

Jul 5, 2023 10:11 PM in response to K_Faith

Hello, thanks for the response. I'm on gig speed fiber and not much happening on the network; I am connected over 5GHz wifi though. This has been an ongoing issue with MLS Season Pass going back from the beginning of the season, through multiple restarts of the Apple TV 4K, but I did try restarting again to no avail.

Maybe my Apple TV device is just getting old and not up to streaming this content? The quality is not bad and it does not stop playing, it just gets choppy and starts dropping frames for MLS matches, and I haven't noticed that with other programming.

Jul 11, 2023 3:26 PM in response to ryane77

Hello,

We have the same issue, only with MLS Games. The audio and video do not synch up as the game progresses. At some points, the audio ends up at minimum of 1-2 minutes ahead of the video, which is not good. A goal is scored well before we see it.

I've tried rewinding, pressing the back button, etc. We watch on a Samsung Smart TV using a Roku.

Thank you.

Aug 19, 2023 2:53 PM in response to hbvbgal

Thank God it's not just me!!!! I have tried EVERYTHING from every discussion group/chat I could find!!! I even went as far to stream the audio on my phone & synced up with the video on my TV. Had it synced for a few minutes but then literally watched the time difference increase. The video must be being sent a at slower rate. That is the only thing I can figure it out to be!

AppleTV please check into this theory!

Jul 5, 2023 1:03 PM in response to aebaugh

Hello aebaugh,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with MLS content on your Apple TV 4K. Try the steps listed here to see if they resolve the issue: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

"If the video quality is bad or it stops playing

1. If multiple people on your network are using the internet, your connection speed might slow down. Ask them to temporarily pause their internet activities.
  2. If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, turn it off and back on again. If you're using an Apple device, restart it.
  3. Tap or click the download button to try downloading the movie or TV show instead.*

* You can't download movies or TV shows to Apple TV, smart TVs, or streaming devices. You can download HDR content only to certain iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. You can't download 4K video content to any device.

Still need help?

If you still can't play movies or TV shows, you can go to reportaproblem.apple.com and request a refund."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sep 5, 2023 11:58 AM in response to aebaugh

Apple claims its the router connection, bandwidth issues, etc. But my AppleTV streaming of TV shows and movies is perfectly fine, Its only the MLS live stream and previously recorded matches that are affected.

Anyway, my other TV which runs FireTV seems to stream the matches just fine. Its frustrating to see one of the more innovative tech companies basically say "reboot and you'll be ok." After paying for the Apple service and then the MLS pass, seems you would get better service. I had better reception with my HD antenna for local game matches (Austin FC).

Purchasing the firestic may be cheaper than buying am Apple 4k TV. Someone also mentioned buying a Roku.

Apr 28, 2024 8:52 AM in response to dcm4son

@dcm4son

same exact problem for me.

• 2nd season of MLS Season Pass

• Samsung TV w Roku

• can watch all other streaming svcs AND regular Apple TV movies without ANY PROBLEMS

• but trying to watch an Apple TV MLS game (that is not live) and trying to skip fwd causes the game video to constantly “glitch” or even worse —> totally goes offline (black screen of death 💀 VIDEO UNAVAILABLE Message)

I have had it with this BS. I have deleted the app in my Roku and reinstalled but it didn’t help.

I have tried to call Apple TV support & they bounced me around without any solutions other than for ME to call MLS. The problem with that solution is that MLS is closed on the weekend & I think they will tell me to call Apple.

at this point, I think I’m just going to call Apple back and request a TOTAL REFUND

Anyone else have any suggestions or phone numbers to call??

Jul 27, 2023 3:15 PM in response to iSync Motorola V3m CDMA Sprint

Apple Support reached out to me; I called them, stayed on the phone for a while. I also tried every solution - removing Apple App and reinstalling it; restarting my modum; all changes to my audio and video and still not fixed. We have determined it is not audio, but video. The audio is real time while the video quality is terrible and slows down. This is even happening during "live" games. I don't know who to contact, but I'm sure Messi won't like his name attached to a subpar product!!

MLS Season Pass judder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.