Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari on macbook pro keeps logging out of all websites every 20 mins

Safari Version 16.5.1 (18615.2.9.11.7) on Macbook Pro M2 running Ventura 13.4.1

Every 15 to 20 mins, I need to re-logging to all websites I have open; this is getting very frustrating, especially since I'm working on admin pages for my websites, and when I click save, I end up losing all my changes because Safari logged me out.

I've tried clearing the cache, deleting browser history, restarting everything numerous times, changing privacy settings, and no luck. I don't know what else to do.

Can someone help me?

Cheers Dan

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 6:41 AM

For me the problem went away when I removed the Developer Tools.

(Settings-Advanced at the bottom "Show features for web developers" - untick/de-select)

Similar questions

23 replies

Nov 1, 2023 3:40 PM in response to Dank13

Safari was my main browser for over 20 years. Still, this bug is driving me crazy, and the fact the responsive mode under the development tab doesn't have the pre-selected devices it used to have and now requires you to run the simulator is making me start using Google Chrome a lot more lately...

I've even contacted Apple support as my Mac is relatively new, so I still had support from them, and all they said was to start all over again and format the computer as it could be other software causing the issue. Easy to point the problems at someone else, even when I pointed him to this post, saying it's not only me facing this issue.

Jul 5, 2023 2:51 PM in response to Dank13

Good afternoon Dank13,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are being logged out of websites using Safari, and we'd like to help.

How long has this been going on? Are you using the Private browsing feature in Safari? Is it possible that some of the websites that you are updating have a time-out feature for security purposes? This could happen in other secure sites like banking, etc.

You mentioned deleting history and clearing caches, but have you also changed the cookie settings for the affected websites? Try closing all of the windows, restarting your computer in Safe mode, and opening Safari with private windows. Let us know if this makes a difference.

Start up your Mac in safe mode

If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac

Take care.

Jul 5, 2023 4:42 PM in response to Dank13

Hi Dank13,

The available update information for your Safari version is shown at About the security content of Safari 16.5.1 which mentions "Description: A type confusion issue was addressed with improved checks."

However, narrowing down possible causes for this behavior should be completed to rule out other possible causes. To begin, install another browser and see if the issue continues in that software.

You may also test using safe mode per How to use safe mode on your Mac. Note that this article includes follow-up steps based on the results to further address possible causes.

Regards.

Jul 5, 2023 5:03 PM in response to Dank13

I'm not closing the case yet as still testing it to make sure it worked, but I haven't had a log out in the last couple of hours...

Disabling "hide IP address from trackers" seem to have resolved the issue. It looks like websites are getting smarter and smarter against Apple privacy blocking.

I'll report back at the end of the day

Nov 27, 2023 10:58 PM in response to Dank13

This is a known issue, it's often related to having the "Develop" menu enabled. I've noticed if I disable the "Develop" menu, it stops happening immediately. In previous versions it would be fixed by using the reset option: Develop -> Experimental Features -> Reset all to defaults. But in the current version of Safari, the Experimental Features have been moved to the "Feature Flags" tab in the Safari settings, so I'm not sure if that works anymore.

Jan 3, 2024 3:03 PM in response to Dank13

I have now moved to Chrome, and life is a lot less stressful, I've tried everything I could, upgraded MacOS to Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71), and it was still happening, I was losing a lot of work on my Shopify websites, adding new products to the site, then you hit save and the session was logged out, making me lose all my work.

Or typing an email on Gmail and not being able to send it.

Clearly, there is a problem as more people are reporting the same issue, which has been going on for way too long.

As much as I hate to say it, as I was always a Safari guy for over 25 years, I have now switched to Chrome.

When Apple start caring a bit more about their users and listening to feedback, I might go back to Safari, but for now... Chrome is my default browser.

Safari on macbook pro keeps logging out of all websites every 20 mins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.