Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

How do I stop Apple Music from launching whenever I connect a Bluetooth headset to my MacBook?

I use a bluetooth headset for video calls on video conferencing software.

Whenever I end a meeting with my Bluetooth headset connected, Apple Music launches and tries to onboard me. My MacBook is a work machine and I don't want to launch Apple Music at the end of a meeting.

How can I stop this unwanted behaviour?

I've read other questions and understand Apple Music is a required element of macOS, so cannot be uninstalled. How can Apple Music be configured to not start automatically whenever macOS detects a bluetooth headset is connected?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 11:13 AM

Not installing a 3rd party app to fix Apple bug, thanks anyway.

55 replies

Dec 23, 2023 12:47 PM in response to chopper-DeloitteAU

This thread has been quite enlightening and really highlights some of my issues of "Apple knows best". Their software makes no sense to a clear thinking individual who actually wants a say in how they use the computer they pay for. I did have the same issue plugging in USB audio, I would be listening to one app, and apparently it wasn't Apple Music. Apple in their lack of wisdom said, no, you need to listen to our app. Beyond the fact Apple Music is a 2 star at best app that is nothing more than a non-intuitive cloud sales tool, there is a workaround that is sure fire that I found, it just took me almost 6 years to find it. I'm going back to Windows, at least their Operating System gives me control over what I'm doing and don't have to deal with this "Apple knows best and you can't change it" nonsense. The same thing happens on my iPhone, take a call and Apple Music stupidly comes up. Yes, I would love to just blast music into my call when I answer it. Wow, glad people at Apple make a lot of money for an overpriced product and then provides this much innovation in annoyance.

Dec 1, 2023 4:01 AM in response to chopper-DeloitteAU

My Sennheiser Momementum headphones can connect to two devices at the same time - my phone and work computer in my case. They have a feature by which they auto-pause when you take them off, and resume when you put them back on. Every time I put them back on when listening to music from my phone, Apple Music would launch on the computer and attempt to "onboard" me. Apple music cannot be removed, and this behaviour cannot be turned off.

The Notunes application mentioned elsewhere in this thread solved this for me.

Aug 27, 2023 6:12 PM in response to R_Gabriel

The steps provided above might be for an older version of macOS. I was able to find a "Login Items" pane in my System Preferences, but there was no Apple Music app listed.

I am running macOS Monterey version 12.6.8

I found my "Login Items" by following these steps

1. On my Mac, choose the Apple menu  > System Preferences…
  2. Click on Users & Groups in the preferences dialog
  3. Click on the Login Items tab for the Current User

There is no Apple Music app in my Login Items. I cannot remove Apple Music from Login Items. When checking Login Items for guests and other users, I see no mention of Apple Music.

This issue seems unrelated to Login Items in my System Preferences and is still happening. Whenever I connect a Bluetooth Headset to my Apple MacBook for a business meeting the Apple Music application automatically starts and tries to onboard me to the Apple Music service. This is very inconvenient. Would love to understand how to disable this unwanted behaviour.

-Christopher

Apr 2, 2024 9:47 AM in response to chopper-DeloitteAU

The same thing again in 2024... and it is not the "ecosystem", it is simply lack of respect and apathy. It has literally ruined public presentations for me. Not only have I lost a business opportunity, but it has embarrassed me and generated states of anxiety that still attack me with anger years later.

I simply wanted to surprise an important client with the combination of slide projection and a pair of brand new homepods that I bought for the occasion. You can imagine... Siri's stupid loud voice, announcing to me that she couldn't find a playlist... then she started bombarding the room with even stupider music from AppleMusic... my pulse still accelerates when I remember it.

Nov 21, 2023 9:49 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks! This solved my problem. The play/pause button on my bluetooth headphones would sometimes trigger Apple Music to open on my MacBook when I was trying to control music on my iPhone. Adding the application 'noTunes' to my login list prevents Apple Music from opening when I hit play/pause on my headphones. Having 'noTunes' added to my 'open at login' items keeps me from having to open the application manually every time I restart my computer.

How do I stop Apple Music from launching whenever I connect a Bluetooth headset to my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.