Safari downloading html links instead of opening, Keyboard layout getting changed, full screen option not working, MacBook shut down issue, Stage manager not working

I am facing peculiar problem. At times or rather most of the time since last update to macOs 13.4 and 13.5

1. Safari - I am unable to open any webpage. Instead of opening webpages, Safari is downloading html files. Also instead of zoom/minimise icon on top left corner of safari or any other application, i am getting a ‘+’ sign (This happens when safari fails to open webpages). Hovering over same gives me three options such as zoom, tile window to left and right, however after clicking on Zoom, it does not cover entire screen. Also if I have multiple tabs open, and if i close single tab, it is closing all other tabs and keep the tab open (which i want to close)
  2. Keyboard - My keyboard layout is getting changed automatically as if i have pressed right 'option' button continuously. I figured that if i OFF sticky keys, it keyboard becomes normal. Luckily I have an external keyboard, using which i am able to enter login password after restart or shutdown, otherwise i would have stuck at Login page forever.
  3. Stage Manager - Stage Manager is not working. once i switch ON stage manager, i am unable to see tiles of open windows on left side. If i am moving cursor to left side of monitor, I am able to see only one windows tile even if i have 3 or 4 windows open.
  4. Shutdown - If a perform a shutdown option, it restarts instead of shutting down.
  5. Logout - I have set logout timer to 1 min of inactivity, however, it does not logout after set time. Also, screen dims after 1 min but becomes full bright after few seconds (which should happen if i touch mousepad or press any keys)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 2:20 AM

Discovered and implemented a temporary solution:

I encountered a similar issue, and it appears to be related to a hardware problem where the Option key is intermittently registering as pressed automatically. To identify this, I enabled the 'Accessibility Keyboard' and observed highlighted keys, mirroring the behaviour when the Option key is manually pressed.

As a temporary workaround, you can follow these steps:

1. Open 'Modifier Keys.'
  2. Set the 'Option Key' to 'No action.'

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2023 2:20 AM in response to MahanandY

Discovered and implemented a temporary solution:

I encountered a similar issue, and it appears to be related to a hardware problem where the Option key is intermittently registering as pressed automatically. To identify this, I enabled the 'Accessibility Keyboard' and observed highlighted keys, mirroring the behaviour when the Option key is manually pressed.

As a temporary workaround, you can follow these steps:

1. Open 'Modifier Keys.'
  2. Set the 'Option Key' to 'No action.'

Jul 30, 2023 7:06 AM in response to MahanandY

MahanandY wrote:

I am unable to enter full screen mode in any application, if i hover to left top corner for three buttons i.e close, minimise and full screen, I am getting ZOOM option instead of Enter Full Screen.

On Ventura, Apple has decided to obfuscate the full screen toggle keyboard shortcut as fn F in the application View menu, and in reality the toggle remains control+cmd+F to enter and exit full screen mode. Although fn F works on an Apple Extended Magic Keyboard, it is an unnecessary stretch to reach the involved keys.

Sep 16, 2023 5:31 PM in response to MahanandY

1. I can't open any page on safari or any browser (chrome).It is downloading html file.

2. Kye board issue

Abc india typeing anything else language and also any English language i can't type.

Like British pc ,Canadian English,U.S., US international pc.

I can't type English language.

3. Can't login properly.

4. F1 to F12 button is not working.

Physically it is fine but i can't increase or decrease volume.

Can't increase or decrease brightness

Same in kye board.

I need a serious help.

Jul 27, 2023 8:36 AM in response to MahanandY

Could you post a screenshot of what you see - specifically where that "+" sign appears instead of the normal window buttons?

Try restarting in Safe Mode. Do things work while in Safe Mode? (Note: Safe Mode is slow; that part is normal).

Then restart normally again. Does the problem return?

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Jul 30, 2023 7:17 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

MahanandY wrote:

I am unable to enter full screen mode in any application, if i hover to left top corner for three buttons i.e close, minimise and full screen, I am getting ZOOM option instead of Enter Full Screen.
On Ventura, Apple has decided to obfuscate the full screen toggle keyboard shortcut as fn F in the application View menu, and in reality the toggle remains control+cmd+F to enter and exit full screen mode. Although fn F works on an Apple Extended Magic Keyboard, it is an unnecessary stretch to reach the involved keys.

Perhaps they are trying to bury this horribly useless feature.

Sep 16, 2023 6:21 PM in response to arijit11

arijit11 wrote:

1. I can't open any page on safari or any browser (chrome).It is downloading html file.
2. Kye board issue
Abc india typeing anything else language and also any English language i can't type.
Like British pc ,Canadian English,U.S., US international pc.
I can't type English language.
3. Can't login properly.

Soumds like you need a new keyboard. Does a different one work ok?

Dec 15, 2023 8:46 PM in response to MahanandY

I have had the same problem twice now. Everyone saying it is because the option key is stuck, you are WRONG. I had this problem before and had to take my computer into the mac store to get it looked at. They never found anything. I turned off spaces because windows would randomly disappear when I would click on other windows, which led some people to suggest it. That did the trick.

But then it just started happening again when I downloaded Sonoma. This time when I turned off spaces (which Apple made it hard to do with Sonoma), it did not fix the problem. So I'm back to square one, and it's making my mac (2020 m1) nearly unusable. This is clearly a software issue that for some reason only happens to some macs, and has been happening for years. Several people have reported it, but the usual types who respond on these forums never believe us. But the problem is real, and there are quite a few people it has happened to.

Safari downloading html links instead of opening, Keyboard layout getting changed, full screen option not working, MacBook shut down issue, Stage manager not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.