Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Video Camera in Safari shows "Bib Bop" Mock Video

I'm trying to use Google Meet on my M1 iMac but all I'm seeing is this "bip bop" mock video in place of my video:

For the Camera setting, it only offers "Mock Video device 1" and another one called "Mock Video device 2." In Safari, I've made the following settings for the Google Meet website:

I've also checked in Safari Settings > Camera and see that meet.google.com has camera allowed:

With all these settings allowing the camera, I still keep getting this "Mock Video device" graphic in any website that wants to use the video camera in Safari. I have an M2 MacBook Air that works just fine using the exact same settings and Google account, so, not sure why my M1 Mac can't do this.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 6:17 AM

thanks a lot for troubleshooting this annoying bug. but I can't find anywhere ""Use Mock Capture Devices" on safari, on the develop menu or elsewhere

22 replies

May 17, 2024 4:34 AM in response to Tom H.

I finally fixed it permanently after 2 years without camera and mic in Safari!

Here's how:

1. Set full disk access in MacBook privacy settings for "Terminal" (I tried also for "defaults", but don't know if that matter)
  2. In Terminal type:
    • "defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitMockCaptureDevicesEnabled 0" and
    • "defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitPreferences.mockCaptureDevicesEnabled 0"
  1. You can read your current settings using this command "defaults read com.apple.Safari"
  2. Restart Safari
  3. And that's it!

Hope it helps

May 16, 2024 4:57 AM in response to Tom H.

I tried 100 YouTube videos. Try all the commands in the terminals. I didn't find these options in developer menu as well. For 1.5 years I cannot use my camera on Safari browser only..it works fine in all other applications. even I am not able to use the microphone as well.whenever I try to give voice commands over YouTube nothing happens. I tried to contact Apple as well they are saying delete the current account and make a new admin account. In the new account everything works fine.I cannot delete my current account coz everything is here only all my Java paths and settings.i am not getting the option to reset safari..all I can see is delete cache and extension. der should be some sort of reset functionality for safari.if someone finds it kindly help me out.i am attaching the screenshot as well.

May 16, 2024 4:19 AM in response to anujfromdehradun

Hi no it is not resolved at all.

and Tom's solution ( It's a Safari setting in Develop > WebRTC that was causing it. Deselect "Use Mock Capture Devices" for that option and that solves the problem) is not valid with the current version. WebRTC is no longer in the develop menu.

I tried different commands in Terminal I found on various forums or on ChatGPT but none work.

so I am totally stuck with that since Safari is part of the system and cannot be reinstalled/reset independently. I tried to reinstall the system too but same result.

May 16, 2024 8:10 PM in response to Tom H.

FINALLY MY ISSUE IS SOLVED !!!!! but temporary..let me simply go step by step in a clean manner

Step1:Enable developer menu. (safari>settings>Advanced>click on show features from web developer.

Step 2 : Disk excess to the terminal.(system setting>privacy and security>full access disk>selected terminal)

Search the terminal in the application and type this command (defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1) without brackets

step 4:restart safari and debug menu enable

step 5:selecet debug menu>Webkit Internal features>disable Mock capture devices.

i write temp. because when I restart the safari it goes back to enabled mock devices..edwardfromparis anyhting to say about this?

May 16, 2024 10:08 AM in response to olivierventurini

We have the same version

you need to have sudo access. (Admin)

You also need to make sure your terminal app has full disk access

in terminal type you will be asked to type your password.

The keys typed will not be shown so do it slowly. Then press enter.

sudo defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1

if this does not work I would not know how to fix it... sorry

Video Camera in Safari shows "Bib Bop" Mock Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.