erased stolen iphone 14. Is any data still at risk?

I locked and erased my stolen iphone. Is my data truly erased, so that a thief cannot somehow recover it? "find my" shows that my phone has moved from a phone shop in Barcelona to a tech place in Hong Kong.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 11:20 AM

If you had a passcode on the phone, your data was safe even before you erased it -- but erasing doesn't hurt.

The main thing I would be aware of at this point is that thieves sometimes send messages pretending to be Apple trying to get you to respond and log into a site that appears to be Apple and by doing that divulge your Apple ID password. The message may, for example, indicate that your phone has been located. They primarily do that so they can turn off activation lock and sell the phone. But if you divulge the Apple ID password they would also have access to any data synced or backed up to iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2023 11:20 AM in response to christabel112

If you had a passcode on the phone, your data was safe even before you erased it -- but erasing doesn't hurt.

The main thing I would be aware of at this point is that thieves sometimes send messages pretending to be Apple trying to get you to respond and log into a site that appears to be Apple and by doing that divulge your Apple ID password. The message may, for example, indicate that your phone has been located. They primarily do that so they can turn off activation lock and sell the phone. But if you divulge the Apple ID password they would also have access to any data synced or backed up to iCloud.

erased stolen iphone 14. Is any data still at risk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.