Black windows in many apps incl. Safari, ZOOM, Apple mail / messages , slack, etc or glacially slow to load ( macbook pro 2021 OS ventura 13.5)

Increasingly over the past 2-3 weeks I get m ore and more black windows in many apps incl Safari, ZOOM, Apple mail / messages , slack) Zoom recently was the worst as I teach and while other saw each other only saw black squares and no one could see me ( my video was on) many websites never load as with mail messages and slack. I dont know how to address this. It seems to get worse rather than better and I need my zoom app to work for work

I see ohers mentioning this online elsewhere, so I think it is a ventura OS problem

Thank you ahead of time for any help

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:20 PM

cjoyk wrote:

Increasingly over the past 2-3 weeks I get m ore and more black windows in many apps incl Safari, ZOOM, Apple mail / messages , slack) Zoom recently was the worst as I teach and while other saw each other only saw black squares and no one could see me ( my video was on) many websites never load as with mail messages and slack. I dont know how to address this. It seems to get worse rather than better and I need my zoom app to work for work
I see ohers mentioning this online elsewhere, so I think it is a ventura OS problem

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2023 1:20 PM in response to cjoyk

cjoyk wrote:

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Aug 25, 2023 12:16 PM in response to leroydouglas

The safe start did help. Thank you! zoom thankfully works! and Ive only seen the hint of one black window

I also took off all my tabs on safari and turned off extentions cleared all hsitory and found there was a OS update.

But I will say alot of website are operating very slow and I have freezes on safari and I woudl like to use tabs and extentions again ( I have use a couple tabs) it isnt to do with my internet speed as all else and my husband’s connection is fine as usual we have fiberoptic

Black windows in many apps incl. Safari, ZOOM, Apple mail / messages , slack, etc or glacially slow to load ( macbook pro 2021 OS ventura 13.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.