AirTag tracking my phone instead of the AirTag.

I just purchased two brand new AirTags. After setting these up, I noticed that the Find My app is only tracking my phone, not the AirTags. The AirTags are labeled as AirTags but the location of the item on the map is really wherever my phone is. I tried giving the AirTag to another iPhone, user and having them move around, but the Find My app is still really just tracking my iPhone, I don’t understand how people use this for tracking their cars or items in different locations. The only thing that seems to work right is the precise location only if it’s really close we’ve tried toggling Bluetooth on and off, restarting our phones, toggling, Find My on and off, making sure precise location is on. Nothing is working and I am getting very frustrated.

AirTag

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 8:12 PM

None of you are getting what he’s trying to say. We know the AirTag isn’t a GPS. We aren’t talking about that. What he’s saying is instead of his phone locating his AirTag in the find my app, instead it’s acting as if his IPhone is the AirTag instead and following his phone.

12 replies

Feb 22, 2024 1:25 AM in response to Tesserax

Useless device. Unfortunately, time can't be returned once it's passed. I cannot return device. I believed all this time I could see my cat, but I was foolish because it only tracks my phone.

Last night, my cat disappeared, and for 10 hours, I was running around the neighborhood believing I could see my cat on the map. However, it was just my phone displaying my own location as with tracker “name”.

🤦‍♀️ It was a disappointment to realize what was happening, and I saw this waste of money as a foolish advertisement for that piece of junk.

Sep 10, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Pinkdaisy8769

As muguy has already mentioned, an AirTag does not rely on GPS. Instead it uses Bluetooth to send its location data to an iPhone (that is participating in the Apple's Find My Network.)

That would mean that, either your iPhone or another iPhone, would need to be within 30-40' of the tag to receive this Bluetooth signal, so that it can relay over the Internet to the Apple servers. That is where the Find My app on your phone can "see" the tag's location.

If the person you gave the tag to has Find My Network enabled on their iPhone (its default), then their phone should have picked up the tag's signal (which broadcasts every 3-5 mins to save battery life). Their phone then needed to have either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet to relay that signal.

If what you are looking for is a dedicated tracking device, then you need to look at ones that use GPS, not Bluetooth. For example, Lo-Jack is one such device designed to be used with cars to help recover them when stolen.

Feb 21, 2024 8:55 PM in response to yulia_mama_yulia

The point is placing an AirTag on an iPhone has no useable function. The iPhone already is part of the Apple's Find My Network.

Although it may seem like a good idea, it serves no purpose. However, if used with with other items, like your keys, it will help you locate it by using your phone.

The bottom line is that Apple did NOT design the AirTags to be trackers, only to help you locate an item that you misplaced. If that is what you purchased it for, then by all means return it. You have 14 days, from the purchase date, to do so and still get a full refund.

Mar 29, 2024 12:41 PM in response to Pinkdaisy8769

I see no one has solved this yet. I haven’t either but I found a workaround. Turn off Location Services in the settings of your iphone or ipad. Make sure you’ve selected “Items” in the little floating menu thingy of The FindMy app and it should now show your AirTag(s) instead of your device. There’s another thread about this on Reddit where someone is suggesting this is only a problem with older phones like my SE 2020.

Apr 22, 2024 6:26 PM in response to Pinkdaisy8769

Having the same issue.

Instead of leading me to the ITEM that has the Air Tag on it, Find My points to the location of my laptop (a DEVICE) even though that location is displayed on the ITEM screen.

There is NO Air Tag on the laptop.

When the Air Tag is shared with someone else (to their phone) it is still wrong: It follows their phone around.

Just like the original poster said, the AT on her cat POINTS TO her phone and follows her phone. It thinks her phone is the Air Tag rather than the actual tag--wherever it may be.

May 7, 2024 5:25 AM in response to Pinkdaisy8769

I have two tags. One is hidden in my Jeep in case it gets stolen. The other I use for misc things. Today I clipped the misc tag to my dog's collar and let him run outside. I see the Jeep tag located in my garage on the satellite pic of my house. I see the blue dot (my iPhone) on the other side of my house. Dog goes outside and is running everywhere but the misc tag shows as if he is staying with me everywhere the blue dot goes in the house. It must be an out of range thing? If the tag is not in bluetooth range of any device it just shows that it is with the tracking phone??? I know it can work because my wife tested it by taking it with her to town. I could see where she was miles away. Weird

AirTag tracking my phone instead of the AirTag.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.