What to do after being phished on my MacBook Air? How do I know that only authorized users are able/will be able to access my MacBook Air?

After clicking a link in an email from a spoofed website, how do I know that fraudsters are not monitoring keystrokes and/or internet activity to gain access to my accounts? I've restarted my MacBook, but does Apple have security in place that would prevent 'future unauthorized access'?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 4:11 AM

Security is only as helpful as is the person operating the computer. A user can generally override pretty much any security provisions.

Unless you supplied data, there is likely nothing to contend with.

If you are that worried about hidden key loggers, the only real fix is to wipe your drive, which will erase everything, and then install the OS. I feel that's a bit much, but here are the instructions: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 4:11 AM in response to WebSecurity

Security is only as helpful as is the person operating the computer. A user can generally override pretty much any security provisions.

Unless you supplied data, there is likely nothing to contend with.

If you are that worried about hidden key loggers, the only real fix is to wipe your drive, which will erase everything, and then install the OS. I feel that's a bit much, but here are the instructions: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Sep 11, 2023 5:22 AM in response to WebSecurity

👍

You can load fraudulent scam websites all day long. Nothing bad can happen — unless you were to succumb to a phishing scam, and be deceived into providing some personal information like passwords, Apple ID credentials, credit card or bank account numbers, paying for something, or installing some garbage software on your Mac (which requires authentication). Those scams are very common, but voluntarily providing confidential personal or financial information are deliberate acts that only you can prevent.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community describes the principles I follow personally.

What to do after being phished on my MacBook Air? How do I know that only authorized users are able/will be able to access my MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.