Locked Out Every Day? No Explanation?

My Apple devices have an Apple ID issue, if not every day now, then at least 5 times per week and often twice in a day. It used to be at least a few times a month, then several times, then at least every week, and now it is almost every day.

At least half of those times the ID is locked, and or I have to sign out and back in on every Apple device I use.

I have brought it up before, but with no effective answers.

No. I do not use two-factor authentication. No. I do not want to 'upgrade'.

The lack of two-factor authentication does not make sense as an answer. I don't have two-factor authentication on anything else and I don't have a problem with anything else. It does not make sense unless Apple is doing it on purpose to annoy me in to using two-factor.

The least I would appreciate is Apple telling me each time why it happened. If someone tried to break in to my account using the wrong password too many times, what is the ip address of the computer or phone trying to do it?

I could really use a real answer. I would really appreciate the help.

WES

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 10:27 AM

scutarius wrote:

My Apple devices have an Apple ID issue, if not every day now, then at least 5 times per week and often twice in a day. It used to be at least a few times a month, then several times, then at least every week, and now it is almost every day.

At least half of those times the ID is locked, and or I have to sign out and back in on every Apple device I use.

The lack of two-factor authentication does not make sense as an answer. I don't have two-factor authentication on anything else and I don't have a problem with anything else. It does not make sense unless Apple is doing it on purpose to annoy me in to using two-factor.

The least I would appreciate is Apple telling me each time why it happened. If someone tried to break in to my account using the wrong password too many times, what is the ip address of the computer or phone trying to do it?

WES

If you are not willing to do something different and your issue continues to repeat— not sure how to help.

you can Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 10:27 AM in response to scutarius

scutarius wrote:

WES

If you are not willing to do something different and your issue continues to repeat— not sure how to help.

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Sep 14, 2023 11:32 AM in response to scutarius

scutarius wrote:

As for asking Apple, I don't know of any place to go to do that. In my experience, or what I have found, is that Apple seems to want to leave it up to this community.

I thought this was the very first post(?) however you have to follow the link:

——> Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support <——

Sep 13, 2023 1:29 PM in response to Yer_Man

It is only helpful if you answer the question I actually asked. You did not, at all.

Why did you write to tell me that no one here represents Apple? I didn't suggest that. However, both replies do indicate a significant defensiveness about two-factor authentication. Now Im wondering why?

I posted my question because the issue is important. I want to resolve it.

If the answer is that the lock outs are happening because I don't use two-factor, then it is what it is.

Please someone just let me know that.

Sep 13, 2023 5:02 PM in response to scutarius

Nobody suggested you use two-factor authentication and you did ask why Apple doesn't provide you any information on why. It's perfectly reasonable to point out that we don't work for Apple so can't possibly answer that question.

You imply it has to do with people attempting to access your account. Do you want Apple to continue letting people try to access your account? I don't think they offer that service.

If you want an answer to your questions about why Apple does anything, you need to ask them. We don't have any ability to guess at why Apple does anything.

Sep 14, 2023 10:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Barney. I appreciate your answer.

It looks like no one has the answer to my question, but I do appreciate your input.

Still, I don't see how I implied that it has to do with people attempting to get into my account, unless it is because I brought up two-factor authorization. I only brought that up because I searched through other similar posts before I asked the community. Two-factor was what the answer was most of the time.

As for asking Apple, I don't know of any place to go to do that. In my experience, or what I have found, is that Apple seems to want to leave it up to this community.

And, although I have found several on this community to be very knowledgeable and helpful; when in the past I have had an issue that may be taken as critical of Apple, I often received negative posts rather than help.

I may have been late to switch to Apple, but since '09 its all Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, ... if I used a watch, I would consider an iWatch..... And as much as I prefer Apple, I do find some things I question and would like answers to, like this. But, no answer.

WES

Sep 14, 2023 12:12 PM in response to scutarius

Still, I don't see how I implied that it has to do with people attempting to get into my account

you asked why Apple can’t send you the IP address of the people trying to get into your account and the title of your post references getting locked out of your account. I cannot fathom how anyone could not imply that’s what you meant.

unless it is because I brought up two-factor authorization. I only brought that up because I searched through other similar posts before I asked the community. Two-factor was what the answer was most of the time.

And, although I have found several on this community to be very knowledgeable and helpful; when in the past I have had an issue that may be taken as critical of Apple, I often received negative posts rather than help.

I may have been late to switch to Apple, but since '09 its all Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, ... if I used a watch, I would consider an iWatch..... And as much as I prefer Apple, I do find some things I question and would like answers to, like this. But, no answer.

WES
unless it is because I brought up two-factor authorization. I only brought that up because I searched through other similar posts before I asked the community. Two-factor was what the answer was most of the time.

WES

Sep 14, 2023 12:22 PM in response to scutarius

this community can’t answer questions as to why Apple does anything. We can provide answers to questions we understand I don’t think anybody here would have any idea why you were constantly being locked out of your Apple ID. Apple has a whole website dedicated to getting support from Apple.

If if someone wants to rant and complain, I am certainly happy to treat them similarly. I believe in treating people how they ask to be treated. Being critical and complaining are two different things. I am not suggesting you are doing either on this post, but you do seem to not understand the fact that we cannot answer your questions as we have no idea what is going on with your account. If you call Apple support, they may be able to access the logs and give you the information you seek.

Sep 14, 2023 12:56 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E

You are correct. That does imply that. My apologies.

I wrote that based on what I had found responses to be to other posts like mine.

Somehow I overlooked that i wrote that. Probably because its an intense week and I only wrote in the first place because it was the 2nd time that day I had to go through and unlock everything.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

Locked Out Every Day? No Explanation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.