Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

tv0S 17 Doesn't turn off my TV when I turn off Apple TV.

Nothing has changed to my actual TV no update or anything would like to make that clear and it was working as it should before updating. Ever since I have updated to tvOS 17 my Apple TV doesn't turn off my main TV when itself is turned off. The setting for "control TV's and receivers" is still on but it doesn't do the job anymore. 100% this is a tvOS 17 issue so just writing this so Apple provides a fix.

I have done a hard reset for both to no prevail and I won't be factory reseting my Apple TV or my main TV.

OLED55CX6LA,

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 4:34 PM

Same issue as yours - on a Sony Bravia. Used to be able to power up AppleTV, Yamaha sound bar and Sony Bravia with AppleTV remote. Now with os17 the HDMI chain is completely messed up. Used to switch tv input from AppleTV to another input and the sound bar would switch with it - now it does not.

Tried many fixes to no avail. It has to be an os 17 update issue.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 4:34 PM in response to patrickw1995

Same issue as yours - on a Sony Bravia. Used to be able to power up AppleTV, Yamaha sound bar and Sony Bravia with AppleTV remote. Now with os17 the HDMI chain is completely messed up. Used to switch tv input from AppleTV to another input and the sound bar would switch with it - now it does not.

Tried many fixes to no avail. It has to be an os 17 update issue.

Sep 20, 2023 10:28 AM in response to patrickw1995

I have a similar issue.

Apple TV 4k 2nd gen, LG TV and Sonos Beam sound bar. Powering off the Apple TV would power off all the devices in previous tvOS versions. Now with tvOS 17, the TV is turned off but the Sonos stays on.

Also had issues powering on, sometimes pressing the Menu button on the remote doesn't turn the TV on. But this is not consistent.

Oct 13, 2023 3:45 PM in response to patrickw1995

I've reviewed my Apple TV 4K 'current generation' tvOS 17.0 settings.

Then reviewed my SONY 4K UHD TV

Current UpDate & settings.

Then tried 7 times to add TV to my

iPhone Bluetooth; 7th time worked,

but only for iPhone. TV Bluetooth

still doesn't show iPhone as a Registered Device so Connection

failed.

My SONY TV Android OS still Turns On & Shuts Off with Apple TV Command.

But, I've experienced your same Apple TV 'TV Power Off' failure.

Apple TV and SONY TV Startup Command worked OK with Apple TV Remote. But SONY TV did not Turn

Off.

I used my Klein Tester to confirm,

both, HDMI Cable and 'SONY TV &

Apple TV HDMI Ports connectivity.

I still, months later, No Answer is

apparent for the, sometimes, failure

to Turn Off my TV.

My connectivity for 'ONLY' SONY TV

turn off when I turned off Apple TV

had been infrequent, but still confounding. I don't let this one small failure 'bug me' though. I just

turn the SONY off with it's Remote.

For me, the answer is: Don't let the

little things bug me.

Good Luck!

tv0S 17 Doesn't turn off my TV when I turn off Apple TV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.