Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 15 Prox Max USB-C to HDMI Issue

So I currently have an Anker USB-C to HDMI Adapter (model AK-A83120A1) that I have been using with an iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation). It works great with the iPad so I know the Anker adapter and the HDMI cable are working. However, when I hook it up to my iPhone 15 Pro Max, it acts like the connection is being established but there is never anything that actually shows up on the different TVs and monitors that I have hooked it up to thus far. For grins, I tried several different HDMI cables and had no luck either. Here are the screenshots of what shows on my iPhone when I plug it in. So it does appear that it is connected. Shortly after plugging it in, the blue Dock Connector icon no longer shows in the dynamic island but the "Dock Connector" status still shows from the control center.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2024 4:16 PM

Oh my god.. i’m having the same issue… been searching for solution for days… can’t believe this happen to the latest flagship phone …. Hope to get some genuinie support from Apple… the same cable works on my friend’s old android phone but not my 15 promax… what a shame….

27 replies

Oct 7, 2023 11:01 PM in response to joshuarupp83

Hi.

I also have these issues but do have a cable that’s working perfectly. I have about 18 docks and as I’m working my through them, the first 7 all have this issue of the HDMI losing synch. All of the 7 tested so far work perfectly with my iPad Pros, M1 and M2.

It’s also worth noting that the iPads also had these issues and on certain docks they would also send out a pillarboxed image, as well as the usual letterboxed image when mirroring and a lower resolution image with stage manager. However, after one of the iPadOS updates (I can’t remember which one) nearly all of the problematic docks worked perfectly.

Anyway, here’s a video showing the USB C to HDMI DP-Alt mode cable that works. Yes, this is very restrictive, especially if you use your iPhone as a gaming device and use Ethernet etc. (which is what I do). However, until such times as the docks work flawlessly, this is at least a solid option for video only. Plus you can also charge vide MagSafe, again, not ideal but it’s a workaround for now.

BTW. I’ve been testing these types of cable and docks for a few years now with the iPad Pros and totally understand the frustration when having to swap to numerous monitors and TVs, use different HDMI or DP cables and all the variations of setting up. What’s even worse for me personally is that I have the most awesome USB C dock with every option you’d ever need, that works perfectly with the iPad Pros but just keeps losing video synch with the iPhone 15.

I have a Pro Max, so can’t guarantee that anything I’ve said here will work with the 15 or 15 Plus, as they do have restrictions on their USB C bus and as far as I can, I can’t see how they could work at 4K/60 in DP-Alt mode. Although, I could be wrong as Apple may be allowing certain video protocols over USB C on the 15 and 15 Plus, even if they exceed the 480Mb/s for those phones’ USB C ports.

This video is more designed for noobs, just skip through to where I’m showing the cable working.

Cheers,

Dave.

https://youtu.be/fSjAUu5MtTk

Feb 8, 2024 7:51 AM in response to joshuarupp83

An update for those with the same issue, I have found a solution.

I use an iPhone 15 Pro Max with an USB-C to HDMI Cable on an LG 4k tv. I was flickering and not displaying at all, same as reported by the OP.

After connecting the iPhone to the USB-C to HDMI Cable, go to settings —> display. It will show options for both the iPhone screen and for the external display. Then go to the external display and select SDR Mode. It should work fine now.

For some reason, the other options (HDR or Dolby) might be selected and will not work. That is the source of the error.

Oct 9, 2023 6:09 PM in response to joshuarupp83

Ok, for what it’s worth, I found a $10 JSAUX USB C to HDMI Adapter on Amazon (B08QYPWM4L) that says in the description that it works with the iPhone 15 Pro Max and iPhone 15 Pro and it just came in today. I plugged it into 2 different TVs and a monitor and had success on all 3 devices without having to change HDMI type or any settings on the TV.

Sep 28, 2023 11:10 PM in response to joshuarupp83

Ok, so everywhere in my town was out of the Apple adapter, so I just got a generic 6’ usb-c to HDMI cable. It does work but not great. It doesn’t display things in full screen mode very well and it’s just over all glitchy and unstable. Let’s just hope once I do eventually get the Apple one it will work like it’s supposed to.

hey Apple Support, do you have any info on this problem?

thanks

Jan 12, 2024 9:43 AM in response to joshuarupp83

Apple support came back and said they are aware of the issue. I can tell you Disney+ and Netflix work as expected , my main issue is YouTube and Amazon Prime video. Also the letterboxing is happening when playing video in any web-browser (safari, brave; chrome etc). I would encourage anyone reading this to call apple and raise the issue of LETTERBOXING ON EXTERNAL DISPLAY WHEN AIRPLAY VIA USB-C on IPhone 15. I can tell you , AirPlay over lightning cable NEVER had this issue with any application or browser

Oct 4, 2023 1:53 PM in response to joshuarupp83

It seems to be an iOS 17 issue, ipad and iphone lightening to hdmi connection to external computer monitors both stopped working with update to iOS 17, tried different cables including apple brand and no luck. Rolled back devices and work fine. Oddly enough iphone with iOS 17 still works on samsung smart TV. Devices all still register connection but won’t display screen; waiting to hear back from apple support but seems like may not get to engineering as connecting to non-apple devices and they “don’t support third party devices”. Disappointing to say the least, have had more issues with apple products in the last year than all prior 30+ years put together. Has me seriously considering complete transition away from apple for household.

Sep 26, 2023 8:53 AM in response to joshuarupp83

I forgot to include my troubleshooting steps. I did perform a soft reboot and a hard reboot of the iPhone. I have tried 3 different TVs and 1 monitor. The iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) was able to connect to all of those displays using the same Anker USB-C to HDMI Adapter (model AK-A83120A1) that I am having the issue with on the iPhone 15 Pro Max. My wife also has an iPhone 15 Pro Max and both phones have the same behavior. Thank you!

Oct 18, 2023 11:21 PM in response to Illson

Does Apple make a USB c to hdmi adapter? For example hooking your phone up to a tv?

I have FireWire to hdmi cable I used to use with my old iPhone that worked well. I know they have a couple 3rd party adapters. But I want to get the apple brand adapter if one exists.

i know apple brand one works better when it comes to FireWire to hdmi.

let me know if you know anything regarding this.

thank

Nov 5, 2023 11:56 AM in response to joshuarupp83

More data, as grist for the mill:

o iPhone 15 Pro, being connected to the HDMI input on a Samsung TV (several years old).

o The UNI USB C to 4K HDMI Adapter, amazon #B07VRD25Q2, works fine.

o The UNI USB C to HDMI Cable, amazon #B075V5JK36, works fine.

o The Hiearcool USB C Hub (with a 4K HDMI output port), amazon #B0B2QYZKFD, displays the iPhone screen on the TV, but all the colors are mixed up. Looks like old, psychedelic, pixel art.

o Connecting either of the UNI HDMI adapters (above) through a USB-C hub connected to the phone: there's no HDMI output.

iPhone 15 Prox Max USB-C to HDMI Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.