Unable to add funds to a Suica or PASMO card in Apple Wallet

I recently transferred my PASMO card to my iPhone 14’s Apple Wallet, rendering the physical card unusable. Note that I am in the US, and did so in advance of an upcoming trip to Japan. Since then, I have been unsuccessful trying to recharge the virtual card with funds using any of my credit or debit cards within the Apple Wallet. I have come across conflicting reports stating that Visa cards will not work, but American Express and some MasterCards *may* work. I haven’t had success with any of my US-based MasterCards, nor my Apple Card. I even signed up for a virtual Skrill card after reading that someone had success, but I did not. On a whim, I changed my phone’s location to Japan and then tried finding the PASMO, to no avail. Now I’m thinking that the majority or all US-based credit/debit cards will not work. Perhaps they did in the past, but not now? Maybe people are having better success with their Suica cards, but who knows. Unless someone has other suggestions, it looks like I’ll have to wait to get to Japan, and then reload the card using cash at a station or convenience store ATM.

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 12:18 AM

Hi I have been having the same problems with Australian issued cards. My Mastercard worked initially but then keeps failing. Visa cards refusing on both initial set-up and then on top up. This is in Feb 2024. Any ideas???

29 replies

Sep 28, 2023 2:42 PM in response to norcal.katonk

Thank you kindly for your reply.

Re: I wanted to know *which* credit/debit cards were successful for adding funds to existing Apple Pay Suica or PASMO cards.

Sorry I do not know which particular cards are eligible for use with Suica or PASMO in which countries. (We are all Apple-users, like yourself, in the community. )

The closest info., may be the lists of "Apple Pay" participating banks in the various countries, reached through this article: Countries and regions that support Apple Pay - Apple Support

If needed: Apple Pay Support have a webpage online with contact info.

There is a "Get support -start now" link at the bottom of their web-page.

Apple Pay - Official Apple Support

Also, if you would like to see improvements, there is a web-form online for Apple Pay feedback that will reach those who work behind-the scenes:

Feedback - Apple Pay - Apple

All the best with your upcoming trip to Japan!

Sep 26, 2023 8:05 PM in response to norcal.katonk

re: Unable to add funds to a Suica or PASMO card in Apple Wallet

Wondering if Apple support's new online article may be in some way helpful:

Published Date: September 18, 2023

Add a Suica, PASMO, or ICOCA card to Apple Wallet - Apple Support

eg says:

"To add a new Suica, PASMO, or ICOCA card, you need an eligible payment card in Apple Wallet."

and

Seems you add funds to the card when you add it to Wallet ... guessing you top it up in the same way ?

"How to add a new Suica, PASMO, or ICOCA card on your iPhone or Apple Watch

1. To add a card:
    • iPhone: Open the Wallet app and tap the Add button .
  • Apple Watch: On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app and tap the My
  • Watch tab. Then scroll down, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, and tap Add
    • Card.
  1. Tap Transit Card.
  2. Choose the card that you want to add.
  3. Tap Continue.
  4. Choose an amount to put on the card and tap Add.
  5. Follow the steps on the screen to confirm your purchase and add your Suica, PASMO, or ICOCA card".

Apr 23, 2024 8:43 PM in response to norcal.katonk

So I seem to be having the same issue as most in this thread and I can not for the life of me figure out what to try next...

I transferred my old Suica card to my iPhone and it still had ¥527 on it and I wanted to top it off before I leave for Japan in a few weeks and no matter what card I use in my wallet I cannot get it to approve and add funds. So far I have tried:

Apple CC (MC)

Chase United Explorer CC (MC)

Chase United Explorer CC (VISA)

Chase Debit Card (VISA)

Apple Cash

I even tried to use one of my wife's CC's which was also a MC and that did not work either.

These are all the cards I own, so I am not sure what else to try to get funds added to this card. Anyone ever figure out a sure fire way to get money on the card via Apple Wallet?

Thanks All!

May 2, 2024 9:02 PM in response to norcal.katonk

It’s a 3D secure issue. Japan recently changed their credit card security measures when it comes to foreigners using their cards as well as citizens using their Japan issued cards when it comes to online or digital payments. You’ll need to call your card issuer and make sure that you have 3D secure set up for each card that you plan on using in Japan. My parents live in Japan and my mom had issues using her Japanese banking cards and my dad had issues using his US based cards when they tried to make online purchases or use digital payments (Apple Pay, etc.) It was explained to them that they need to have 3D secure set up and would need to contact their card issuers. Since they did that, they no longer have any issues with processing payments. I had to do that for all of my cards as well. Some banks say 3d secure is automatically set up when you activate your Visa cards but I found out that is not the case at all. SMH

Unable to add funds to a Suica or PASMO card in Apple Wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.