Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can't change my iPhone device phone number

My provider accidentally switched my phone number, which made my Apple ID automatically take over this phone number for my iPhone device. The provides gave my back my original phone number, but now I can't change the iPhone device number back to my original number. I've tried logging out of my apple ID on all my devices, turning it on and off, etc. Anyone have more ideas?

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 11:47 AM

I had this problem when I changed number.

i accidentally fixed it by going on settings - FaceTime - selecting my old number which was still an option. It suddenly changed the number, and changed it in the other places too.

22 replies

Feb 15, 2024 9:43 PM in response to Jess_047

Yep, this is the fix, Jess_047! I had changed providers, also replaced a regular SIM card to eSIM card, and "My Phone" was showing the old number that could not be re-written for some reason. But based on your advice above, I went to the FaceTime settings, tapped my 'wrong number' and voila, it started changing to the correct number everywhere (lots of prompts on MacBook and iPhone where I had to say "yes"), so it's all good now. Thanks! Thank goodness you found this solution by accident. Perfect.

Sep 28, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Raicya

Who I go to Settings -> tap my Name -> tap name, numbers & mail -> I see my correct phone number

Who I go to Settings -> tap my Name -> tap login and security -> I see my correct phone number

Who I go to Settings -> tap my Name ->scroll to & tap my iPhone -> I see the wrong Phone number, which I can't change.

Who I go to Settings -> scrol down and tap phone -> I see the wrong Phone number, which I can't change

I've also tried removing my SIM card and starting the iPhone without simcard, deleting my Apple ID on the device and then restart with my SIM card, but that din't work either.

Apr 23, 2024 3:20 PM in response to rani10

I had the same problem but messages and FaceTime didn’t have the option to switch to the number I wanted - only the ‘wrong ‘ number or my email address. I fixed it by putting my old Sim in which allowed me to go into settings and set messages to the number I wanted. Then, without turning the phone off, I took that Sim out and put the new Sim in it. This set the phone numbers for messages, phone and FaceTime, to the correct number.

Apr 23, 2024 3:21 PM in response to rani10

I had the same problem but messages and FaceTime didn’t have the option to switch to the number I wanted - only the ‘wrong ‘ number or my email address. I fixed it by putting my old Sim in which allowed me to go into settings and set messages to the number I wanted. Then, without turning the phone off, I took that Sim out and put the new Sim in it. This set the phone numbers for messages, phone and FaceTime, to the correct number.

Can't change my iPhone device phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.