iPhone 15 keeps coming on and off charge

I just got my 15 and i’ve been charging it with the cable from the box and an apple usb c plug, every time it goes up by 1-2% it comes off charge then goes back on again. I’ve tried it with another usb c apple cable and has the same issue, charged it with an anker cable in my car with the same issue and I’m at a loss now of what to do!

I’ve always had the old cable issue of wiggling it to the right angle to charge but this isn’t the same thing, it can be laid flat and still go on and off charge like no tomorrow! It’s on IOS 17.0.2.

It still does charge and hold charge it’s just annoying and a bit concerning that it keeps going on and off like it is

EDIT: not sure why it says i posted this on my 12, i have posted it on the 15 🤦🏻‍♀️

iPhone 12

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 8:29 PM

Also my iPhone 15 keeps charging on and off all the time why it’s like that

32 replies

Mar 4, 2024 1:55 PM in response to em_240

I have this same issue, used the cable that I got from the box, and I used it with the adapter that I already had (this adapter works fine on my other devices) every time I want to charge my iPhone 15, it comes on and off charger every time it goes up by 1% and it keeps making that sound as if I just put it on the charger. It's a brand new phone and cable and it's driving me nuts. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Jan 28, 2024 4:58 PM in response to em_240

The problem is the battery optimized feature. Sometimes it allows too much current upwards of 3.4amps to get into the phone, that’s about 30w at 9v. So the built in protection trips off the charging when the wattage drawn becomes to high. I witness this with chargers that are able to give as much power as possible. If you have a charger less than 25w and not more you’ll be fine. The charging software can draw upwards of 30 watt,and with the nature of flexible current draw most of these power bricks have no control on max current draw. So when you plug in your phone. Its starts with a low current draw and for fast charging increases till it reaches 30 watts. That triggers the iPhone battery protection software to power cycle again. I thinks it’s a flaw in the software because it should have a fixed current draw for fast charging but it doesn’t. Even with the optimized battery feature. And if you turn it off you don’t get fast charging.

what I’ve learnt recently is to toggle off the optimized feature to none for a while and then back and you won’t have it again.

Sep 28, 2023 3:47 PM in response to em_240

Do you have charging optimization on in settings? If it’s set to 80% limit and your phone is close to 80% when you plug it up that may be the issue. Same may be true if you selected the Optimized Battery Charging option. Switch it to None and see if the same thing occurs. If it does then definitely take the phone to your nearest Apple Store to be evaluated (or call Apple for assistance if you don’t have a store in your area). You are still in the exchange period so you could also just opt to exchange it.

And it’s not saying you posted from your 12. That’s just the device you have on your profile.

Mar 29, 2024 2:19 PM in response to Kristerpher Henderson

I just got my 15 plus and have been using the 20w adapter and the cable that comes in the box with the phone and I still have this issue. I tried turning off charging optimization and it’s still happening. It charges normally on my wireless charging pad as well as when plugged into the usb in my car, I’m only having the issue with the charger provided by apple in the box. Hopefully they can make a fix for this I’ve never had this kind of problem before

Dec 21, 2023 10:53 AM in response to ssobczak

someone in the thread did mention using a cable that has a normal usb on the other end to charge it, i did this too and it worked at home and in the car, might be a good temporary fix for you- doesn’t fast charge though! i did find my plug was warped as i said above and now i got an anker plug instead which works and im not experiencing this issue anymore so could be another option :) annoying to shell out more money though when you’ve JUST bought it :/

iPhone 15 keeps coming on and off charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.