Display keeps turning off after 30 seconds no matter what the settings say.

I have my Mac mini connected to two monitors via USB-C cables. Regardless of the settings under Lock Screen, after I lock the computer, 30 seconds later the displays turn off and (I guess) the Mac goes to sleep. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Mac mini, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2024 9:29 AM

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

1. Executed ~ sudo pmset restoredefaults
  2. Then restart my Macbook pro.
  3. Then logged in
  4. set
  5. set
  6. press Ctrl+Cmd+Q to lock screen
  7. screen is locked and after 30 seconds, all external displays lost signals. built-in display turned black
  8. waited 10 minute and woke up laptop by keyboard
  9. logged in again
  10. all apps were shuffled across different Desktops

So, by pressing Ctrl+Cmd+Q to lock screen, the laptop will turn all displays off after 30 seconds, no matter what the setting are.

Similar questions

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2024 9:29 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

1. Executed ~ sudo pmset restoredefaults
  2. Then restart my Macbook pro.
  3. Then logged in
  4. set
  5. set
  6. press Ctrl+Cmd+Q to lock screen
  7. screen is locked and after 30 seconds, all external displays lost signals. built-in display turned black
  8. waited 10 minute and woke up laptop by keyboard
  9. logged in again
  10. all apps were shuffled across different Desktops

So, by pressing Ctrl+Cmd+Q to lock screen, the laptop will turn all displays off after 30 seconds, no matter what the setting are.

Oct 6, 2023 1:16 PM in response to hcsitas

Thanks for your kind input. You are right about the truncating, I intentionally omitted the other two options as irrelevant for this discussion. Other two options and not other four as in your linked screenshot, since I do not have the power nap and hard disk options which are not available/relevant for my machine.

For the sake of good order I did try switching the Wake off and it did not fix the problem.

Jan 27, 2024 5:44 AM in response to Jerry_D

Have you tried resetting the SMC in Terminal?

"sudo pmset restoredefaults"

Without the quotes and key in the admin password which you won't see being typed.

Restore default power management settings - Apple Community

Or Desktop computer

If your Mac isn't a laptop computer, follow these steps:

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Apr 25, 2024 1:09 PM in response to Jerry_D

Hello, I have had a similar issue with my Mac Air with M2 chip when connecting to a Samsung external monitor. It turns out that it was the USB-C adapter that I was using. The adapter was an Apple branded device with a USB-C, HDMI and USB port.

I had tried everything in this thread, a different HDMI cable, a different monitor and finally I noticed the adapter was warm to the touch and purchased a different branded adapter and the problem was solved. I was also on the phone with apple support for an hour and one of the suggestions was doing a factory reset to the machine, which I did not want to do.

Oct 6, 2023 10:36 AM in response to Jerry_D

Jerry_D wrote:

Thanks again. I've tried many different settings in the Lock Screen menu, but the problem refuses to go away. And no, the external screens have no sleep timers of their own. I can't be 100% sure, but I do not remember this problem before upgrading to Sonoma. Will report it to Apple as a possible bug.

That is a good idea.

You can send Feedback directly to Apple,

by using > Feedback - macOS - Apple

and > Feedback - Mac mini - Apple

Or by contacting Apple Support,

at > Official Apple Support

Oct 6, 2023 8:14 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you. Seems like that, I agree, but I'm not able to see just what. If you look at my screenshot in the original post, you'll see my settings (this is a Mac mini, so there are no battery or power adapter settings). I did try the Energy Saver settings both ways (see screenshot below), got the same reaction in both cases - displays go off after 30 seconds. I don't know what else to change.

Oct 6, 2023 8:42 AM in response to Jerry_D

Sorry, the differences is that those screenshots are for a laptop and not a desktop Mac.

Try adjusting your "Turn display off when inactive" setting up to 20 or 30 minutes to see if that helps.

Also do your external displays have a standby sleep timers in their On Screen Menu settings?

If they do, then you may need to adjust those standby or sleep timers to never.

Oct 6, 2023 12:49 PM in response to Jerry_D

That’s not the setting on the link and your previous snapshot was truncated. Furthermore, the Energy Saver settings haven’t changed and are snapshotted here from Sonoma just to make the point absolutely clear:

Anyway, turn Wake off and freeze these settings permanently, irrespective of whether or not it fixes the problem. But it should. Do update.

Oct 6, 2023 1:24 PM in response to Jerry_D

I’m afraid based on how long it took me to get to this point, I can’t take your word on it. SO, please post a snapshot confirming the settings mirror what I’ve posted please and confirm they will stay that way irrespective of whether you think that’s relevant or not.

And then add some detail on the two monitors - make & model would be perfect.

Oct 7, 2023 5:14 AM in response to Jerry_D

Jerry_D wrote:

I have my Mac mini connected to two monitors via USB-C cables. Regardless of the settings under Lock Screen, after I lock the computer, 30 seconds later the displays turn off and (I guess) the Mac goes to sleep. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

No the Mac does not go to sleep it simply is killing the signal to the display to prevent burn in. This is likely by design and I have the same thing in my set up using lock screen. There is zero to worry about and is actually a good thing. Unless you like having pixels being burned into the screen and your monitor burning energy for an image which likely no one is going to sit and stare at for hours.

Nov 20, 2023 10:14 AM in response to Jerry_D

Did you ever find a fix to this? I seem to have the same problem.

i have a Mac Studio and Mac Studio Display. When I lock my computer, the screen goes black after 20-30 seconds no matter what. If I let my screen idle for a minute, my screensaver comes on but it doesn’t follow the time settings that I configured. The monitor goes black in less than 10 minutes when I have it configured to run for 30.

Display keeps turning off after 30 seconds no matter what the settings say.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.