My number shows “unavailable for sharing” in the security section and it can not be used for message or facetime.

It was working just okay yesterday morning. But last night, I could not get or send a message with my number. I sent a message to my friend to test it out and it only worked for my apple ID email. Whenever I try to activate my number, it says my number is unavailable for sharing I can’t even select it or delete it. When I tried activating it on the message section, it said that it was unsuccessful. i tried updating my phone, reset the wifi, and even tried turning my things on and off including my phone itself. Please help.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 8:27 AM

THE FIX:

Go into Settings>Messages>iMessage. Ensure that iMessages is toggled to green, indicating it is on.

Under Send & Receive, I only had my phone number listed. For some reason, I was not logged in with my Apple ID. So, click sign in with Apple ID (and you will leave your number checked as well.)

Then, go into Settings>FaceTime. Ensure that you are also logged into your phone number and Apple ID here also. If not, log in.

Restart your phone.

Lastly, double check on Settings>Your Name>Sign-In & Security that the message under your phone number stating "unavailable for sharing" is no longer there.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2023 8:27 AM in response to kina161

THE FIX:

Go into Settings>Messages>iMessage. Ensure that iMessages is toggled to green, indicating it is on.

Under Send & Receive, I only had my phone number listed. For some reason, I was not logged in with my Apple ID. So, click sign in with Apple ID (and you will leave your number checked as well.)

Then, go into Settings>FaceTime. Ensure that you are also logged into your phone number and Apple ID here also. If not, log in.

Restart your phone.

Lastly, double check on Settings>Your Name>Sign-In & Security that the message under your phone number stating "unavailable for sharing" is no longer there.

Hope this helps!

Nov 6, 2023 10:36 AM in response to kina161

This same thing is happening to me and has been happening for a while now. Started on my iPhone 11. Upgraded to a 15. Issue carried over to new phone.

Steps that I have tried:

1. turn imessage/facetime on/off. Nope
  2. Restart phone after signing out of apple ID and turning off imessage/facetime. Nope
  3. Reset network settings. Nope
  4. Factory reset. Nope.
  5. iOS update from 16 to 17. Nope.
  6. Changed PW for apple ID. Nope.
  7. All the available apple troubleshooting for this issue. Nope
  8. Went to my service provider. Nope
  9. Went to a 3rd party apple-certified support store. Nope.

The only thing I have not tried yet is an iOS rollback, but the issue started before I even upgraded to 17.1.

So let me know if you find a solution because I've had no luck. Tired of repeating the same troubleshooting over and over again to find a solution so good luck!

Nov 13, 2023 6:41 PM in response to kina161

Had the same problem,

Removed an old phone that was listed under devices under my AppeID (it was present there n addition to my current phone), then I switched of iMessage in settings, switched off Facetime in settings, and then I signed out of iCloud.

Then restarted phone and logged on into iCloud with AppleID again.

iMessage and Facetime settings defaulted to on after this, but also this “unavailable for sharing”

under my number was gone.

Not sure what the initial cause of this was but it is now fixed.

-Hope this helps somebody...

Nov 9, 2023 7:55 AM in response to Perryqui

I wanted to provide an update. I called my carrier (Verizon) and was on the phone for a couple of hours before I was finally connected with Apple Support. Apple did a screen share and was able to fix the problem in less than 5 minutes. The representative with Apple was so extremely friendly and helpful. I wish I had saved myself the frustration and called Apple from the start.

Nov 7, 2023 3:34 PM in response to Perryqui

Hi Perryqui, your post above this one sounds very familiar so I wonder if I might have had the same problem. Just to be clear though, when you say you talked to a Sr. Advisor do you mean from your carrier or from Apple? I tried everything, just as you did, including visits to both Apple and Verizon. Both companies had no idea what was going on and each basically blamed the other.

Nov 29, 2023 7:13 PM in response to thevirgrocks

This was the correct answer for me! I changed my AppleID without any other changes and was given two separate errors when under "sign-in and security"... Initially there was no phone number associated with the sign-in, once I added it the error was that it could not be used for iMessage or Facetime. I logged into the web and updated the phone number there and was then presented with the "Unavailable for Sharing" message. After clicking "Sign in With AppleID" on iMessage it fixed the problem there and under FaceTIme and the error message went away.

My number shows “unavailable for sharing” in the security section and it can not be used for message or facetime.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.