Are iPhones resistant to sea water?

I want to take my iPhone snorkeling in Hawaii to take photos underwater

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 4:52 AM

Hello again ~ Not to sound rude but only informative… I know all there is to know about this subject as I am a Dive Master with 40 years of experience. One of my rated specialties is underwater photography. I would not under any circumstances use my iPhone in any depth of water. I have underwater cameras from base models to exceptional ones for photography in and around water. Some good cameras are available now at a decent price point to use snorkeling. You do as you would like as you have been well advised here. If you think I am submerging my iPhone to test this for you…that’s a big “No”Take care.

~Katana-San~

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2023 4:52 AM in response to ManPerson1

Hello again ~ Not to sound rude but only informative… I know all there is to know about this subject as I am a Dive Master with 40 years of experience. One of my rated specialties is underwater photography. I would not under any circumstances use my iPhone in any depth of water. I have underwater cameras from base models to exceptional ones for photography in and around water. Some good cameras are available now at a decent price point to use snorkeling. You do as you would like as you have been well advised here. If you think I am submerging my iPhone to test this for you…that’s a big “No”Take care.

~Katana-San~

Nov 22, 2023 7:10 PM in response to ManPerson1

ManPerson1 wrote:

What about silica dioxide packets from beef jerky

Silica gel doesn’t alter an iPhone with salt and other mineral deposits within, including the carcasses of aquatic critters.

You do get a mostly-dry iPhone filled with a water-absorbing, corrosive, and conductive materials, though.

Best to avoid dunking any device you can’t afford to replace. And if you can afford to replace it, well, have at.

Nov 22, 2023 4:37 PM in response to ManPerson1

Yes it’s your call if you want to take an iPhone 12 pro max snorkelling in the ocean, I don’t mind go for it. All I can say is IP68 is testing in fresh water under lab conditions which in practical terms means accidental splash in fresh water, and that the warranty doesn’t cover for water damage and salty water corrosion. But feel free to let us know when you’re back

Mar 23, 2024 1:31 PM in response to azakslamarmur213

Hello ~ Click on below and review…

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support*

*What should I do if my iPhone gets wet?

1. If a liquid other than water splashes on your iPhone, rinse the affected area with tap water.
  2. Wipe your iPhone off with a soft, lint-free cloth — for example, a lens cloth.

Make sure that your iPhone is dry before opening the SIM tray.

To dry your iPhone, tap it gently against your hand with the Lightning or USB-C connector facing down to remove excess liquid. Leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow. Placing your iPhone in front of a fan blowing cool air directly into the Lightning or USB-C connector might help the drying process.

Don't dry your iPhone using an external heat source or insert a foreign object, such as a cotton swab or a paper towel, into the Lightning or USB-C connector.

Your iPhone can warn you if there's liquid in the Lightning or USB-C connector when you connect a cable or an accessory to your iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or later. Learn what to do if you see a liquid-detection alert on your iPhone.

You more than likely need to have it checked out…

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

~Katana-San~

Nov 22, 2023 4:26 PM in response to ManPerson1

ManPerson1 wrote:

I have an iPhone 12 Pro max

General info:

Water and other liquid damage to iPhone or iPod isn't covered by warranty - Apple Support

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

Operative word here is “resistant “, not “proof”.

Per Apple:

Or have at. Do what you want with your iPhone 12. It’s your iPhone 12, after all. Take it swimming. Let us know if it still works. Don’t expect anybody to repair it, should it fail immediately, or should it fail later due to corrosion. Do expect to need to replace it though, so have current backups before the planned dunking, and budget for the replacement iPhone.

Nov 22, 2023 3:23 PM in response to ManPerson1

With salty water there’s also a corrosion component, not just a water resistance, I didn’t see anything saying it’s resistant to salty water corrosion, it’s barely resistant to a splash in fresh water. So I wouldn’t use my iPhone in the sea water, but it’s your call

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

Are iPhones resistant to sea water?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.