No available TimeMachine destinations on NAS

I have had a NAS with my wife and I for about a year with no issues. Both of us have separate TimeMachine backups on the NAS in separate folders for privacy. Recently my Mac notified me that I haven't had a backup for 12 days, so in debugging the issue I told TimeMachine to forget the drive so that I could reselect it.

However after telling TimeMachine to forget the drive, I can no longer get it to connect to any TimeMachine share drive on my NAS. My wife does not have this issue. I can still see my old TimeMachine share drive, and I can still see the sparesebundle backup. I can even open the contents and view it (although when I double-click it, nothing is mounted to my system - this is the first clue). But TimeMachine refuses to acknowledge there is a valid drive to use.

1. I have tried making a new drive and telling TimeMachine to connect to that but it won't see it.
  2. I have disconnected from the server and reconnected and it makes no difference
  3. I have restarted my computer twice with no difference
  4. I have restarted the NAS completely and that has made no difference
  5. I have verified that no settings on the NAS have changed (and they haven't)

I am at a loss of what to do. My Mac no longer cooperates with my network drive and won't even make new backups anymore despite the fact I can interact with everything as normal from the Finder and there is no connection issues with my local network or with my ability to communicate with the NAS itself.

I am running macOS Sonoma 14.0 on an M1 MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 11:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 6, 2024 9:28 AM in response to Ethanace

Seems I have the same (or similar problem). My wife backs up to one physical drive, I back up to another -- but network connected. After Time Machine stopped backing up (my wife's continues to work fine) I started to debug. I finally deleted EVERYTHING from my network drive with the idea that the sparcebundle might be corrupt somehow. In Time Machine, I removed the drive with the idea that I would then re-select it. Well now I can't even do that!!!! Time Machine shows no drive selected and when I try to "Add Backup Disk" I get a message "No Available Time Machine Destination" and the "Set Up Drive" button is gray. I know I have access to the drive because I'm able to move a PDF file (as a test to confirm read/write) so I'm thinking it's not a permissions issue but I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

No available TimeMachine destinations on NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.