Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Very slow downloading of any applications from the App Store

At the beginning of using the iPhone, all applications loaded quickly, whether it was an application that weighs 100 megabytes or 10 gigabytes, and now, after some use, an application that weighs 57 megabytes swings for one hour or more, any application that I put on the jump swings for an hour or more

(Wi-Fi works fine, I checked 100 megabytes per second on the computer)

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 9, 2024 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 4:03 AM

Did Apple intentionally slow down downloading new apps after the latest iOS update release?

23 replies

Apr 2, 2024 2:39 PM in response to Hamad2508

This has been ongoing for me for the past month as well. Each Apple device I use (iPhone 11Pro Max, iPad Pro 12.9", 16" MBP, and 14" MBP) is bafflingly slow downloading updates from Apple—not from Adobe, not from MS, not from any vendor or client with whom I exchange large files—only software updates from Apple.

To illustrate, the 17.4.1 update on my iPad and 14.4.1 on 14" MBP have never been completed, no matter the time of day I try or how long I allow them to run. And this is across days of allowing them to try. All apps with software updates by MS and Adobe during that time have proceeded as expected, quickly, without undue pause or delay.

Re-configuring TCP and DNS and even rebooting all devices have not changed this. A few minutes ago, Adobe updated 3 apps in the CC in 10 minutes. Before that, Apple could not download a Pages update more than a MB or two after 15 minutes. After trying repeatedly over three days, the MBP stated 4 days for the 14.4.1 update. A Surface Pro 2 updated its OS and apps after 2 months offline in about an hour, using the same WiFi and settings.

Recap:

Multiple Apple devices cannot update Apple software despite hours/days of attempts.

Adobe and Microsoft updates of apps and OS all proceed without issue, on Apple and MS devices.

Apple and MS devices on the same network are experiencing vastly different outcomes, despite a stable network and 250+Mbps DL speed.

My next step will be to take a device or two to a wholly different location and attempt to download the recommended Apple updates, but the evidence thus far indicates a significant issue at Apple, not the ISP or devices.

EDIT: I should also note that updates to Parallels and the resident VM OSs and apps all proceeded as expected.

Apr 2, 2024 9:09 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Unless you are privy to Apple’s computing infrastructure and policies, I don’t see how you have the authority or expertise to make such a claim. Your experience doesn’t dictate every user’s experience any more than my experience does. There are many variables at play, as my 35 years in professional IT have taught me.

It’s unfortunate for others here who are experiencing this issue that instead of receiving helpful feedback they instead get trolled.

May 7, 2024 1:35 PM in response to lolipopnmn

Downloads are definitely slower and have been for a couple months. It’s not my devices (all new, plenty of space), WiFi, ISP, iOS or anything else on my end. I have that all dialed in with gig speeds and solid WiFi. I am seeing a lot of updates failing and I have to select the update again and it again fails. It happens when I select one app or all updates most every time. Whether it's throttling or capacity or even something regional, Apple needs to address this.

Jan 9, 2024 9:41 AM in response to lolipopnmn

The download speed depends completely on your internet connection speed; looking at your Wi-Fi icon it shows less than perfect signal strength. What can also slow it down is if you are using VPN (or even have a VPN profile installed, even if you are not using it), or if you installed any worthless security apps or apps that claim they will make your phone faster or clean it up.

Apr 2, 2024 9:41 AM in response to rcfsguy

I’ll match your 35 years with my 50 years as an engineer and computer scientist. Neither of our experience is worth a darn on issues like this.

Yes, there are many variables, and the least likely is Apple’s content servers and distributed download servers, which can handle millions of downloads of operating systems an hour. My last iOS update download to my computer, of 8 GB, took well under a minute. The more likely reasons for throttling are on the user’s network, their antivirus and firewalls, their Wi-Fi speeds, their internet connection speeds, whether they use VPN (which cuts download speeds by a factor of 4), and many other factors, none of them on Apple’s side.

Apr 11, 2024 10:19 AM in response to tmid

I experienced the same thing, despite my internet speed of 300Mbps apps download at 50-110mbps only, and If I pause the download and run a speed test it shows up as 290Mbps, I'm using iPhone 15, I reset my phone thought it has some issue but it's still the same. I am not using any VPN, I sat beside the router with wifi6 (speedtest shows 300Mbps so understand that its a wifi or isp issue).

Very slow downloading of any applications from the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.