How to fix File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

I think many have posted about that. When I ran Disk First Aid on “Data” (disk3s5) of my internal drive I received this report:

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk3s5

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the checkpoint with transaction ID 9388716.

warning: container has been mounted by APFS version 2235.60.6, which is newer than 1934.141.2.700.2

warning: disabling overallocation repairs by default; use -o to override

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking the encryption key structures.

Checking volume /dev/rdisk3s5.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

The volume Data was formatted by newfs_apfs (1677.100.114) and last modified by apfs_kext (1934.141.2.700.2).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking the document ID tree.

Checking the fsroot tree.

error: doc-id tree: record exists for doc-id 2639, file-id 110244562 but no inode references this doc-id

error: doc-id tree: record exists for doc-id 3021, file-id 158630952 but no inode references this doc-id

Checking the extent ref tree.

Checking the file key rolling tree.

Verifying volume object map space.

The volume /dev/rdisk3s5 was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Verifying allocated space.

Performing deferred repairs.

error: Unable to perform deferred repairs without full space verification

error: Try running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume

The volume /dev/rdisk3s5 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 8.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

I have followed some suggestions regarding this issue, the (-69845) error: I have tried to use recovery mode to run Disk Utility but it still couldn't fix that. I also tried to use fsck -fy in terminal in recovery mode, the following messages appeared:

warning: option -f is not implemented, ignoring

error: container /dev/rdisk3 is mounted with write access.

I'm not familiar with unix stuff so I better give it up. I just want to ask if I earse the Mac and reset it to factory settings. And then restore the files from Time Machine. Would these procedures fix the problem? Or any other suggestion?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 11:24 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 15, 2024 4:46 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello, thank for the advice.

I already have it installed and everything’s looking good when using that software:

Though, I still get corrupted files occurring in the Finder (like .png pictures that I can’t open in any software like preview, chrome or safari and that can’t be repaired as well)

And when running Disk Utility First Aid, I get the exit code 8 (both logged-in a session and in Recovery mode) with the error: File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

May 14, 2024 4:26 PM in response to dustinshum

Hi, I’m currently encountering the same issue on my M1 pro SSD when running Disk First Aid in recovery mode. Same error code and logs.

I’m recently having an issue with files getting corrupted in my Finder, which lead me to perform this diagnostic.

Have you been able to solve this issue? If so, how did you do? Compete factory reset followed by a Time Machine data restoration ?

Best,

How to fix File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.