Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syspolicyd making apps very slow to open on M1 Max

So I just noticed that the process "syspolicyd" makes the apps very slow to open on M1 Max.

Is there a way to reset this process? 

If I disable SIP the apps open instant.

Here are some more info about this issue:

On affected system - if you launch Activity Monitor and look at CPU resources - then launch App - syspolicyd will spike to 60-70% of CPU.

Syspolicyd is linked to SIP, protection against system integrity attacks. On M1 it works slightly different as SIP in M1 is more restrictive.

On fresh installs - there is no issues.

It will work normally without delays.

But if you fiddled with SIP or Recovery terminal commands (still has to be determined which ones) - this syspolicyd bug is triggered and will persist until you reinstall/update the OS.

It manifests as super slow 1st launch of the apps after boot. But consequent launches will be happening normally.

Reboot again - and 1st launch of the same app will be again super slow, but the next one will be normal. Most people dont notice this at all - but... some do...

To only solution to this - that I am aware of is reinstall. I noticed this bug incidentally when I migrated apps from M1 MBA (affected with bug) to my new M1 MBP (fresh install) and immediately noticed difference in launch speeds. Launching activity monitor on both devices - syspolicyd process was having completely different behaviour.

Can Anyone tell a fix for this but keeping SIP enabled?

Because if you disable SIP the problem disappears.

Thank you!

Posted on Jan 17, 2024 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2024 2:05 PM

I’ve found a solution. Just reinstall the apps that are slowing down, and let them verify again. For me Adobe Apps were the biggest issue since they are pretty large in size. Note some apps such as MS Office, Cinebench, Davinci Resolve will still be hit by syspolicyd no matter how many times u reinstall them, and they don’t show verifying bar when opening for the first time either. (No verifying bar, issue persists) and side note syspolicyd doesn’t seem to hit on built in apps so they are non issue.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2024 2:05 PM in response to miguelbfrom

I’ve found a solution. Just reinstall the apps that are slowing down, and let them verify again. For me Adobe Apps were the biggest issue since they are pretty large in size. Note some apps such as MS Office, Cinebench, Davinci Resolve will still be hit by syspolicyd no matter how many times u reinstall them, and they don’t show verifying bar when opening for the first time either. (No verifying bar, issue persists) and side note syspolicyd doesn’t seem to hit on built in apps so they are non issue.

Feb 25, 2024 12:02 PM in response to miguelbfrom

I don't think it's Sonoma doing it. I've only ever been on Ventura and I have the issue as well. NOR have I ever turned off SIP or fiddled with ANY commands at all in recovery, so that theory is out the window, unless it's just one of many things that may trigger the issue.

I've also noticed that sometimes the issue goes away for a while. When it does, I can reboot and still have fast app starts. But the issue seems to always come back and I have no idea what is triggering it to do so. Nor do I know what is triggering it to go away again.

If anyone knows anything more about this: PLEASE POST! Some apps take so **** long to launch. Affinity photo being the worst, which is probably why this has been talked about for this app in particular. But it's not the only one. Final cut pro takes like 7-8 seconds to launch which may not be enough to make a lot of people notice, but it's still a lot slower than it should be. This is likely a widespread issue.

Jan 17, 2024 7:54 AM in response to miguelbfrom

Applications on a M1/ M2 / M3 with SIP Enabled causes a Lag Time to Launching

This is Not Normal

Suggest ➡️ Re-Enable SIP ⬅️ Right Away

Once that is done

To avoid the question / answer and question answer scenario

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

The Application is Not a " Silver Bullet " but only a tool to examine the Hardware / Software used on this computer 

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid for added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon  <<<<

Using EtreCheck

Jan 17, 2024 7:13 AM in response to miguelbfrom

Are you Developing applications and if some, they need to be notarizes

There is no need to always run the computer with SIP Enabled

If it were, IMO Apple would not have implemented this Security Feature to protect the Operating System

Below is an M2 running Sonoma 14.2.1 with SIP Enabled

ALL applications run as expected and no lag

" System Integrity Protection (SIP) in macOS protects the entire system by preventing the execution of unauthorized code.

The system automatically authorizes apps that the user downloads from the App Store.

The system also authorizes apps that a developer notarizes and distributes directly to users. The system prevents the launching of all other apps by default.

During development, it may be necessary for you to disable SIP temporarily to install and test your code.

You don’t need to disable SIP to run and debug apps from Xcode, but you might need to disable it to install system extensions, such as DriverKit drivers. "

Jan 17, 2024 8:17 AM in response to miguelbfrom

If you are going to quote something, please provide a citation.

I tracked down the original post from here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/launching-apps-slower-on-m1-mac-mini-than-intel.2270579/post-29663345

There is no way to tell whether or not that post is correct, or has anything to do with your problem. It sounds correct. I like this part: "if you fiddled with SIP or Recovery terminal commands (still has to be determined which ones) - this syspolicyd bug is triggered and will persist until you reinstall/update the OS." I would definitely agree with that. It says that disabling SIP is the cause of this problem, not the solution.

For the solution, I would also agree with this part: "To only solution to this - that I am aware of is reinstall."

I would add to that with, when you reinstall, make sure to restore only your user accounts and user files. Do not restore any apps, software, system settings, or "other files". Manually reinstall only the apps that you really, positively need. Be very suspicious of any app that includes an installer and/or requires your admin password to install.

Jan 18, 2024 8:27 AM in response to Agentsmurf105

Glad to know that I am not the only one to experience this problem.

The only solution that I found to resolve this problem is to disable SIP (do not recommend) or Fresh install macOS and recover from Time Machine.

After that is fast as it should be!

The problem seems to show after 1 month after the fresh install.

Even my intel MBP from 2017 is opening the exact same apps faster on the first boot when this problem shows. lol.

Jan 19, 2024 3:11 PM in response to Thar lynn

i also noticed that reinstall the app fixes the issue, but I would not call it a full "solution" imagine you have like so much apps!

Are you willing to take that much time uninstall and install again?

I think its quicker to just reinstall the OS and recover from TimeMachine.

But us as a user should not be facing this issue.

This is a issue that needs to be fixed/sorted.

Happened on Ventura and now on Sonoma.

Jan 20, 2024 6:21 AM in response to miguelbfrom

Yes that’s not very practical for alot of apps tho. But I wonder if there is some command line to re verify all apps without reinstalling any of them. Since this bug is triggered by not recognizing or system not seeing apple notarization certificates of the apps. Should that kind of command line exists, we could just use it as a workaround for now until apple solves this bug.

Syspolicyd making apps very slow to open on M1 Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.