Cox transitioning to yahoo

Since Cox communications is transitioning their emails to Yahoo, and I use my Apple platform for my Cox emails, how will that affect my receiving emails.. Is there something I need to do so that I can still use my Apple platform wherein yahoo will be providing Email service?

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 29, 2024 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2024 6:40 PM

EDIT: I FOUND A SOLUTION AT COX FORUM. SEE: Cox forum post

14 replies

Apr 11, 2024 10:30 AM in response to georgefrombyron

Update: After playing with it for a couple more hours, I was able to get yahoo mail working with Mac mail client. I did have to set up a yahoo "app password" for each cox.net email address. My main problem was I was not allowing the Mac mail setup to get to the state where I could create the IMAP (imap.mail.yahoo.com) and SMTP (smtp.mail.yahoo.com) server settings for two new mail accounts. Once I did this, I started getting mail to Mac mail. The key is getting to this screen for the new accounts. Mac OS mail doesn't make it straightforward:

Mar 31, 2024 9:46 AM in response to joannwf

As a Cox customer, I was recently notified that I'd have to migrate "soon" to Yahoo for email. (They haven't defined "soon", unfortunately). Cox does provide instructions on what you need to do if you want to continue using your Cox email address with Yahoo mail. I've reviewed them, and honestly think there are a LOT of users who will be unable to successfully navigate the migration. I'm hoping that my "forced" migration happens late enough so the bugs are worked out and the instructions are updated (but not holding my breath).

Regarding woodmeister50's comment that pretty much any email service can be added to the Apple Mail app...this is absolutely true. But keeping the ability to use our Cox email addresses with Yahoo Mail requires quite a bit of preparation beforehand.

To me, this is a blatent money grab from Cox, as I'm not aware of any of the other major ISP's doing this. And from what I've read, this migration to Yahoo comes with ads in our email....unless, of course, we agree to pay Yahoo $5/month for ad-free service.

For me, I'll hold off as long as I can, but am fairly certain this will not be a smooth transition.

Apr 1, 2024 5:11 AM in response to MacMikeInOK

Personally, I would transition to some other email provider. Yahoo has had security issues in the past. By the sounds of it you will need to go to all the sites and your contacts and notify them of the email change anyway so you may as well move to a totally different provider. If you have older emails that you want to keep you can make sure they are all resident on your Mac.

Your iCloud email would be a good option and won't cost you anything and no ads. There is also Gmail but you need a Google account for that.

FWIW, I have pretty much moved everything to iCloud email and Gmail form my Xfinity email. The only things Xfinity is used for is Xfinity stuff and only a couple of other items.

Apr 1, 2024 8:34 AM in response to woodmeister50

That's my plan as well, woodmeister50. I am going to start moving as many accounts as I can to my iCloud email address. I'll still have to perform the migration process to Yahoo to maintain any notifications, etc. from Cox, though. I do have a Gmail account as well, but it seems to be more of a spam magnet than true email service.

I'm convinced, however, there will be several thousand Cox customers who won't be able to migrate their Cox email accounts successfully, and expect to see a ton of issues begin flooding these ASC forums over the next few months.

Apr 7, 2024 4:55 PM in response to mjolredcred58

Here I am a couple of days after the cox mail cutoff. I successfully got yahoo to recognize both mine and my wife's cox.net addresses. I am able to use Yahoo webmail. But I ran into these problems and just about to resign and change over to iCloud as well:

1. I cant get my Apple mail account to sign on to Yahoo as a client. Ive tried both the normal yahoo web password and created a special "app password" per yahoo instructions. Neither is recognized and the yahoo account simply shows up greyed out with the triangle-! symbol in my Apple mailbox list. The command Mailbox:Online Status:Take Yahoo Online results in no response (using a 2016 MacBook Pro, Intel based computer).
  2. The Yahoo mail app is not compatible with older Intel-based Macs. It must apparently be an M1 or later computer. (My wife has an air with M1 chip and I successfully installed the Yahoo mail app on it).
  3. The (free) Yahoo webmail contact import does not support importing any of the formats (such as V-card) that Apple can export. So I cant have my contacts there without retyping them in?
  4. I sure don't like the ads in the (free) Yahoo email list. Same with the app for my wife.

Does anyone know if iCloud can be set up to use our cox.net addresses? Or will we have to go thru the change of email address?

Any suggestions for fixing 1-4 above complaints are welcome.

Not happy with Cox or Yahoo.

Apr 11, 2024 3:27 PM in response to mjolredcred58

mjolredcred58 wrote:

This email switch from Cox to Yahoo is a disaster where as neither Cox, Yahoo or Apple has zero helpful information why it does not work for Apples mail app.

This is a Cox/Yahoo issue. They are the only ones who can straighten it out. The same problem exists with Outlook and other email apps. It's not the fault of Apple's mail app.

The underlying problems are the changeover from Cox to Yahoo servers plus the convoluted behind-the-scenes system changes that have to be made so users can keep their cox.net email addresses on Yahoo servers. A similar mess up occurred when Verizon migrated their email to AOL.

Apr 11, 2024 8:25 PM in response to mjolredcred58

I got the Cox email today that I'll be switched in the next month, but I've been looking for information for a couple of months. Not much, but I did find the one from Lyndonb95 on the Cox forum that someone mentioned above. But I am fed up and am considering just using my existing gmail account, meaning I'll have to notify everyone -argh!!!

Sorry to be obtuse, but what about iCloud mail? Doesn't it still have to go via Cox, Yahoo, someone???

May 4, 2024 2:50 PM in response to joannwf

My cox account successfully transitioned to yahoo . However, I use apple mail for email. I've put in all the correct imap settings, including the generated app password. My problem is that many emails did not come through on apple mail. They are all on the yahoo server, but the issue is server to server(I guess). Yahoo says it's not their problem since all messages are on their server. Apple says it must be yahoo's servers?? The old run around. Any thoughts or ideas??

Cox transitioning to yahoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.