Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Nikon Z8 raw files not showing up in Photos on MacBook Pro with macOS Sonoma

I recently read that Apple now supports Nikon Z8 raw files, but they are still not displayed in Photos (or Finder or Preview) on my MacBook Pro. I have Sonoma 14.2.1 and the Nikon Z8 is now on the list of supported software. I also just restarted my computer. Any suggestions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2024 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2024 8:14 AM

For me, the Raw Recording with High efficiency * and High efficiency files are not displayed. But Lossless compression files are displaying with the latest macOS 14.5.

5 replies

Mar 3, 2024 8:24 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply. I updated to Sonoma 14.3.1, and then I restarted the computer again, and unfortunately the Nikon RAW (NEF) files are still not displaying in Photos or Preview. All the RAW files from the Z8 are Lossless, so that is not the problem. this is a brand new camera and I really need to be able to see and edit my photos on the MacBook Pro!

Mar 3, 2024 11:47 PM in response to Ken_Birdhead

Others have also noticed that the RAW Support for new cameras may need some time to appear. Perhaps your trying to view the RAW files has triggered the indexing of the RAW support.

The RAW Support is stored in a bundle in the system: /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/RawCameraTypes.bundle

And the contents of this bundle needs registering with the system.

Nikon Z8 raw files not showing up in Photos on MacBook Pro with macOS Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.