Final Cut Pro Crashing When Replacing Images In Timeline

I edit a public access show. The executive producer will come back and ask me to replace certain photos in my timeline. 8 our of 10 times when I try to replace a photo with a different one and I select "replace and retime to fit" Final Cut will crash. It drives me NUTS! It would make my job so much easier if that function worked. I only do this with static photos that are either jpg's or png's. It only sometimes works but 8 out of 10 times it will crash. Below is the log I got after the recent crash. Any ideas on how to fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 29, 2024 1:44 PM

7 replies

Mar 29, 2024 2:29 PM in response to dylanjasna

In addition to the information that Tom requested:

Whenever the application crashes, you should delete its preferences.

Also, and although this should not crash, anyway: you say photos... so I don't think there is a reason to use "Replace and Retime to Fit" - use "Replace from Start" instead. There is no retiming of still images.

At least, you can try this and see if it still crashes when using "Replace from Start".

May 13, 2024 8:31 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Here's my computer info:

MackBook Pro 16-inch, 2021

Chip: Apple M1 Max

Memory: 64 GB

MacOS 13.3.1 (a)

I'm running FCP 10.6.8

My files are stored on an external hard drive (SanDisk Extreme)

Both the original files and the files I'm trying to "replace and retime) are located on the disk.

My library is also located on my external hard drive.

I'm replacing by dragging the files from a finder window pointed to my external drive and dropping that file over the clip I'm wanting to "replace and retime to fit."

May 13, 2024 8:49 AM in response to dylanjasna

“the photo will replace what's on the timeline using the default duration for photos”

It doesn’t use the default duration. It uses the duration of the selection. If you click an image in the browser it should be selected with the settings preference.

You probably should start a new thread as this is unrelated to your original question. It helps others searching for similar issues.

Final Cut Pro Crashing When Replacing Images In Timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.